• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Elac Miracord 10H Skipping Issue

Aaron S

Member
Hi all. I have two Elac 10H's, and both are suffering from this issue. One skips on all records towards the end of the album, the other only skips on certain albums (any and all Khruangbin pressings skip, most other albums old or new play through fine). This Elac 10 is the one I would most like to have up and running. The plan is to keep the other for a parts table. I've cleaned and relubed every possible moving part I can access. I've also attempted adjusting the tone arm wires, as others have been able to do this to solve this problem. I tried tearing apart the tone arm to clean that, but can seem to get to the bearings that it pivots on. Maybe the issue is in there? I have squirted some light machine oil in the tone arm bearing. Also no help. I'm at a loss.

I have tried two different cartridges. Think this table has a high mass tone arm, so I tried a stanton cart that tracks at 3 - 5 grams. This seemed to solve my issue at first (some records that used to skip no longer did), until I tried a Khruangbin record, and the skipping returned. I have and Empire 880P cart I could also try. It seems to be original to one of the two tables, but I don't really want to spend more money on this project, and the Empire needs a new stylus.

Long story short, I would love if anyone out there has any input, or has experienced similar issuses with an Elac. And, if so, If they have sorted this skipping issue out. Thanks all!
 
Register to hide this ad
It would be wonderfull if those things had a glass platter so you could see what's happening when a Miracord 10 cycles.

I have one also. Mine exhibits a skip but only after the 12".button is depressed. It happens just after the arm touches down. In 2 platter rotations, the stylus skips inward a groove or two. It's like some invisible force is pushing the arm at exactly the same time, every time. All is good with 7" and 10" and I have not been able to see any anomaly when cycling the mechansim manually by hand with the platter off.

It only manifests with the metal platter on.
 
Last edited:
It would be wonderfull if those things had a glass platter so you could see what's happening when a Miracord 10 cycles.

I have one also. Mine exhibits a skip but only after the 12".button is depressed It happens just after the arm touches down. In 2 platter rotations, the stylus skips inward a groove or two. It's like some invisible force is pushing the arm at exactly the same time, every time. All is good with 7" and 10" and I have not been able to see any anomaly when cycling the mechansim manually by hand with the platter off.

It only manifests with the metal platter on.
Huh. I keep thinking Maybe I missed some old dried grease somewhere (even though I feel like i've been thorough there), or it is somehow linked to the tonearm pivot point and old dried grease, but now I'm thinking all of these Elac 10's have this issue. Maybe it's just not correctable? Or, if it is, It's above my pay grade. Thanks for the input!
 
Huh. I keep thinking Maybe I missed some old dried grease somewhere (even though I feel like i've been thorough there), or it is somehow linked to the tonearm pivot point and old dried grease, but now I'm thinking all of these Elac 10's have this issue. Maybe it's just not correctable? Or, if it is, It's above my pay grade. Thanks for the input!

You could be right about the grease. Even though mine's been the way it is for a few years, I will return to it eventually. It works better than it did when I first got it but I did not do a major disassembly. Only repeated what I did with several 50H's to get them working. Mechanically they are pretty much the same.
 
You could be right about the grease. Even though mine's been the way it is for a few years, I will return to it eventually. It works better than it did when I first got it but I did not do a major disassembly. Only repeated what I did with several 50H's to get them working. Mechanically they are pretty much the same.
Well I finally figured it out. One of the adustable doo dads for the tonearm was stopping it from moving resistance free. It's the one under the tonearm with the spring. I had to raise it so it was just a hair off the tonearm assembly, and voila, records tracked no problemo. Only took me a few months to figure out, haha.
 
Back
Top Bottom