• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Elac Miracord 50H - best protractor?

Kent Adams

New Member
Hello, quick question: In the world of cartridge alignment, is there a preferred protractor for a Miracord 50H?

There isn't much you can adjust on this unit, but I don't know if one protractor is better suited than another. Ebay has a protractor supposedly customized for the 50H. Any value to that? Suggestions?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I just use the built-in stylus post thingie on my 770H.
Thanks RDW. But the post is just for adjusting overhang. I need a protractor to align the cartridge with the groves. While I love the 50H, it doesn't give you much room to adjust alignment, at least not with the cartridge I use. Plus, the bulky headshell makes it hard to see the cartridge when trying to align. Thanks again!
 
Montycat, I've noticed both of my cartridge/headshell combos benefit from a little inward rotation of the cartridges (probably just a couple degrees) to get them to track a bit cleaner. You're right, installing the cartridge straight in the headshell will get you pretty close, but I think there's room for fine tuning.
 
Doesn't need protractor, align it with the overhang adjustment at the front of the headshell, there's a dot where you set the overhang to. Works superbly.
 
Montycat, I've noticed both of my cartridge/headshell combos benefit from a little inward rotation of the cartridges (probably just a couple degrees) to get them to track a bit cleaner. You're right, installing the cartridge straight in the headshell will get you pretty close, but I think there's room for fine tuning.

Well then, fine tune away! If your ears say it's better that way, you don't need a protractor.
 
So I'm a cannibal! Haven't used a protractor with my Miracords yet, and I have a couple I use for my QL-Y5F, which was some time ago as it is!
 
Back
Top Bottom