• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electrical issue with Sonagraphe SG-3

oksailor22

New Member
Hello, some background to start. I bought a Sonagraphe SG-3 off USA Audiomart about 3 years ago.
Table was in really good shape, but had been modified by the previous owner. a Linn arm was added with a Grado Black cart. the wiring had been upgraded as well at the same time. I put on a record yesterday and my wife thought it sounded some slow, so I checked it and it is running at 33.0rpm, so not too far off. I turned the unit off and pulled the platter and checked the belt and everything looked ok.
But I noticed that the motor seemed to have some power going to that was holding the motor still, even with the switch off.. I thought this very odd, and only unplugging the unit entirely corrected the problem.
I know these run on an asynchronous AC motor, but should there be voltage on that motor even when the switch is off?
That just does not sound right to me.. The table is grounded to the preamp as usual. There is only a two prong plug on the turntable. My house however is older and is not wired with a designated ground, so none of the plugs have a grounding lug...
Please provide any feedback you feel might be helpful
Thanks Mark in Oklahoma
 
Register to hide this ad
Most turntables have a capacitor across the power switch to prevent a popping noise when it is turned on. This sometimes leaks, and allows the motor to remain energized even when the turntable is off. It would be prudent to check this capacitor, or, just use an external switch such as a power bar or a preamp switched outlet.

As for the speed issue, 33.0 is too slow. This could be a bad belt, or lots of other things..
 
Most turntables have a capacitor across the power switch to prevent a popping noise when it is turned on. This sometimes leaks, and allows the motor to remain energized even when the turntable is off. It would be prudent to check this capacitor, or, just use an external switch such as a power bar or a preamp switched outlet.

As for the speed issue, 33.0 is too slow. This could be a bad belt, or lots of other things..

Thanks very much, I will check for a capacitor and see if that is the issue! Mark
 
You might put some sewing machine oil on the motor shaft and spin it by hand to see if it runs. If it does, let it run and dirty oil may come to the surface. If so, clean it with a paper towel and repeat until the oil looks clean. It should run.
 
Back
Top Bottom