• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electro Voice Interface 3, message of redundancy message

I am thoroughly (and easily) confused.

Does the Interface 3 require an equalizer for peak design performance. I just picked them up and matched them with a pair of Electro Voice FR210B monitors. I had the monitors paired with a pair of Kenwood kl60's which was pretty good but after hooking up the Interface 3's I noticed the clarity immediately but they do lack a little depth.

I hooked up a Klipsch subwoofer with the two pair of EV's and it sounds damn good. It's the best I've achieved so far. I'm close to moving on and improving my amp and receiver. Just trying to clarify whether or not these Interface 3's needs a specific equalizer for optimum performance

On the back of the speaker the metal plaque identifies them as Interface 3, no series number i, ii,iii,iiii, no series alphabetic model a,b,c,d. Just Interface 3.

I assume (enter cliche here) the Interface 3 requires a specific equalizer ala Bose 901 series, 1,2,3. Does anyone know for sure if I need an Electro Voice equalizer? Any and all suggestions, input, insults will be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Electro Voice made a series of EQ units for a variety of speakers. They differ in the exact tuning of a low frequency lift. This LF bump is designed to create a complimentary lift right as the driver is beginning its box loaded roll-off. The addition of the EQ gains a small but nice little gain in additional energy down low.

This comes at the expense of more amplifier power and of course, greater cone movement. The EQ's also includes roll-off down below the boosted EQ curve which helps protect from excess cone movement and power requirement below what the speaker can safely do.

The EQ units also have a switchable HF eq, centered at about 10khz, which helps adjust the speaker to a rooms hardness/softness.

So the EQ is not absolutely necessary for the speakers designed for them, but do complement them exactly when proper units are employed together.

EV3
 
Here is the EQ curve for the Interface A. Other models of the EQ are simply a different center frequency of the LF lift frequency.

ofycdQK.jpg

Here is an example from other EV literature of the intended complementary LF EQ between the resulting LF with and without the EQ.

tWm9UGR.jpg


From the information I have the tuning of some of the EQ models are:
SEQ 32hz
Interface D 32hz
Interface C 35hz
Interface B 35hz
Interface A 39hz

EV3
 
Last edited:
Electro Voice made a series of EQ units for a variety of speakers. They differ in the exact tuning of a low frequency lift. This LF bump is designed to create a complimentary lift right as the driver is beginning its box loaded roll-off. The addition of the EQ gains a small but nice little gain in additional energy down low.

This comes at the expense of more amplifier power and of course, greater cone movement. The EQ's also includes roll-off down below the boosted EQ curve which helps protect from excess cone movement and power requirement below what the speaker can safely do.

The EQ units also have a switchable HF eq, centered at about 10khz, which helps adjust the speaker to a rooms hardness/softness.

So the EQ is not absolutely necessary for the speakers designed for them, but do complement them exactly when proper units are employed together.

EV3

Thanks for clarification. One of the most underrated speakers ever built and a classic. And that EQ does help to have, though nice it works fine without.
 
Back
Top Bottom