• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electrophonic 8-track units ?

anden

Active Member
Who made these 1970's AM/FM 8-track players. Is the quality good enough to have one today if you're trying to have an 8-track flashback experience ? The model T-600A looks like a half way decent, rather large receiver/8-track player ?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you want to hear what an 8-track cartridge is capable of, get a Pioneer, Akai, or a Technics deck. Those were the best of the format.
 
Electrophonic made their own stuff, but were like Lloyds and Emerson. Bottom-feeders.
Like Kent said, look for a better brand, but don't expect too much from the format.
 
Yeah, the Morse/Electrophonic equipment was generally very low quality. I owned one of the later Radio Shack Realistic 8-Track player/recorders from the early 80's with Dolby noise reduction that was as good as you could get given the format.
 
I had a stand alone Electrophonic 8-track player years ago, it had a "fine tune" knob for the tape head, but other than that it was nothing special - a very basic deck.

I can offer this: my late uncle repaired radios and stereos his entire life, and he rarely had anything bad to say about brands as a whole. He would fix anything from Sparkomatics to Marantzes with the blue scopes. But he told me once to "never, ever, bring in a Morse Electrophonic. I hate those." That was a pretty strong statement coming from him; his shop had a contract to do warranty work on them for a couple of years. I remember he also said those Weltron space-age clock radio 8-track players were a pita to service.

If you're only looking for a small playback deck with an amp built in Panasonic made some in the early-mid 70's that were of decent quality - nothing fancy but pretty trouble-free. RS-810S was one of the models.
 
Last edited:
But he told me once to "never, ever, bring in a Morse Electrophonic. I hate those." That was a pretty strong statement coming from him; his shop had a contract to do warranty work on them for a couple of years. I remember he also said those Weltron space-age clock radio 8-track players were a pita to service.

If his shop had a contract, he probably got real tired of see those things, not to mention they were often not worth fixing. Some of those units were quite gimmicky (much like the Weltron unit) making a bear to get apart and work on. I tried fixing something much like the Weltron unit one time and it did not want to come apart and when it did, parts went flying.
 
I remember him telling me that a lot of Electrophonic stereos were sold through "rent-to-own" and "high finance rate" furniture stores.

The only Electro. console I ever took a good look at was about 4.5 feet long, the chassis was about 4x5 inches at best, and had two 5x7 speakers that looked like they belonged under the back deck of a car. I can imagine that they sold for a couple hundred less than a quality console, yet cost about 1/10th as much to produce.
 
I think my uncle had one of those all-in-one stereo's from Electrophonic. It was in a narrow console with a turntable, 8 track and AM/FM radio with two speakers very close together with no stereo separation at all. They made one once with a disco ball and lights. Very tacky!
 
if you really want this Electrophonic, I suggest buying it, because unlike cheap turntables, which will destroy your records, cheap 8 track players won't ruin your tapes at all, it just won't sound that good.
It'll be cool to have around.

Find a Pioneer. You really can't go wrong with which model of Pioneer 8 track player. They were the best 8 track players ever made, in my opinion.
My Pioneer H-22 is a base model, but with a good tape, it has the potential to sound PHENOMINAL!

But some of the cheaper 8 track decks actually perform better than someone may think. I also have a Lloyd's 8 track player, which performs very well. (All the cheap plastic mechanical parts really scare me though LOL)

I also think Electrophonic is a rip-off of the late great Canadian electronics manufacturer, ELECTROHOME, because I saw an Electrophonic stereo once, and the nameplate was written in the Electrohome font.
 
Back
Top Bottom