• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electrovoice 30W 30 Inch Woofer - repair info?

ekits

New Member
Hi,

I now have 2 electro voice 30W woofers sitting on top of my dining room table.

One is older vintage (copper-rose color?). One is newer (white). Both have issues. The older one is working but someone put a horrible foam surround on the speaker and in the process took some chunks out of the edge of the foam cone (like small sandwich size "bites"). No voice coil rub.

The newer woofer is in much better cosmetic shape, the cone is perfect and the surround looks great. However, this one has open voice coil and voice coil rub.

Question: ANY re-cone kits or surrounds available? Or, is there any body who repairs these here in the US?

Thank you for your feedback.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5569[1].jpg
    IMG_5569[1].jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 312
Register to hide this ad
Wish it could be some cool story but it was just a local CL find. I am hoping to restore them. I have the plans for a Patrician and my commission a carpenter friend to build the cabinets while I look for the other components. Hopefully the woofers can be salvaged. Otherwise I hear they make good end tables!
 
There are ways of making surrounds. I've seen sites describing the process and it looked fairly straightforward. At worst, maybe a place like Simply Speakers can sell you the raw materials.
 
I think I would call Simply Speakers and see what they have to say. At the very least they might steer you in the right direction or, best case, they might be able to fix them for you !!!
 
Thanks. I will give them a call. Good suggestion. I have used them in the past for a foam kit for what are now my small 15 inch Altec woofers.
 
attachment.php


:drool: Good luck with the repair. Please keep us posted!
 
Well, Simply Speakers was a bust. Nice guys but they did not have any advice or leads. I tried calling another lead kindly provided by a fellow AKer but the phone just rang and rang. Will try again today. Anybody else have any ideas? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I talked to Daniel at Audivex here in the Bay Area. He said he may be up for the challenge to refurb. I will keep you posted. Thank you to everyone for leads and advice. AK is just awesome.
 
I talked to Daniel at Audivex here in the Bay Area. He said he may be up for the challenge to refurb. I will keep you posted. Thank you to everyone for leads and advice. AK is just awesome.

:thmbsp: Hope he can do the re-edge.
 
That looks suspiciously like the attempted refoam by a former AK'er. Forget his name at the moment, but he was banned. There's some posts of his on the Lansing Heritage Forum about the attempt.

Last I heard there was some drama and his home went up in flames.
 
Back
Top Bottom