• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EMIM and EMIT from RS 2.5/4.5 compared to modern planars

flyers13

Member
Since the EMIM and EMIT drivers that were used in the classic Infinity speakers (specifically the RS 2.5 and 4.5) aren't becoming any more plentiful, has anyone ever tried modern planars in their classic Infinity speakers, such as maybe the Bohlender Graebener mid-ranges and tweeters that you can find on Parts Express? What about any of the later Infinity EMITs, such as from the Kappa series? If so, I'd love to hear comparisons. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
The Graz replacement diaphragms for the Emims are pretty spectacular to me but they are not cheap. They are very lively even more so than my old oem diaphragms. Also crossover to the poly woofers better in the RSIIb and to a Watkins it may even be more noticeable.

Btw after owning these (rsIIb) for a couple of years now and playing them for an extended period of time I think the emim durability issue is not as big a deal as we all think. My original 30 year old diaphragms look new and by the looks of the fuse holders (all buggered up from a screw driver) on the back of my speakers the fuses were blown many times by someone who was really enjoying them. I have not blown a fuse yet and I've had them crazy loud both with the old diaphragms and the graz. Unless I do something really dumb, or have some sort of equipment failure I doubt I will ever need a replacement. There are guys on this forum who have owned Infinity speakers with Emim drivers since new and have never needed a replacent. If the correct size fuse is used I don't think the emim will fail from over drive because the fuse will go first. They are a very durable well designed speaker, not perfect but pretty freakn good.

There have been some projects on this forum using the monsoon drivers (RS2.5 I think) which looked very cool. There was also some threads talking about BG projects as well but only recall seeing pics of the monsoon project. Do a google search and I'm sure they will pop up.
Jim
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Jim! "rsb1" has also mentioned the Graz diaphragm replacements for the EMIMs, and that it is a definite improvement...but, as you also said, not cheap!
 
Jim, I bought my 2.5 and 4.5 new in 83, the 4.5 for front channels and 2.5 for rear channels on a fosgate system, I can't remember ever blowing a fuse on them. But even when I demo them I noticed the slight resonance at various freq's when the volume was turned up quiet loud, which was past my listening levels anyways. I believe the resonance was caused by the diapfragm where it attaches to the spacer as there is no dampening along the edge to remove resonances, over time the mylar will also stretch and that makes it even worse, but a heat gun will fix this, I bought 8 diafhrams new in 91 from infinity for 45 bucks each, and the watkins woofers for 79 bucks a piece and rebuilt the 4.5's. no system is ever perfect, they all have bug area's, you just choose what suits you best.
 
Jim, I bought my 2.5 and 4.5 new in 83, the 4.5 for front channels and 2.5 for rear channels on a fosgate system, I can't remember ever blowing a fuse on them. But even when I demo them I noticed the slight resonance at various freq's when the volume was turned up quiet loud, which was past my listening levels anyways. I believe the resonance was caused by the diapfragm where it attaches to the spacer as there is no dampening along the edge to remove resonances, over time the mylar will also stretch and that makes it even worse, but a heat gun will fix this, I bought 8 diafhrams new in 91 from infinity for 45 bucks each, and the watkins woofers for 79 bucks a piece and rebuilt the 4.5's. no system is ever perfect, they all have bug area's, you just choose what suits you best.

That sounds like a very nice sytem. There were three pair of 4.5's for sale here in eastern pa in recent memory. I would have loved to own a pair but lack a proper room to use them. Did your original diaphragms have the tape on the center section? I bet those 1991 emim diaphragms have it, It adds a bit of weight to them but will help keep them together longer.
Jim
 
Jim, could you give me a link or an email to inquire about the Graz replacement diaphragms? And exactly how expensive is "expensive"? In your opinion, did the cost justify the results? Thanks!
 
Jim, could you give me a link or an email to inquire about the Graz replacement diaphragms? And exactly how expensive is "expensive"? In your opinion, did the cost justify the results? Thanks!

I better not post the link. I don't think it's a good idea. If you google apogee acoustics you will find it. If you don't pm me. They are a little bit of a pain to get because they come from Australia.

Imo yes, the cost justified the results. You may want to keep playing your speakers a lot to make sure you really like the sound and can live with it before you invest in new diaphragms. They will not change the basic characteristics of the midrange in your speakers. Once you put the $$ into them the only way you'll get it back out is through enjoyment.
Jim
 
Flyers13, I second Jim's opinion that Graz's replacement diaphrams are worth the money. I replaced all 8 on my RS 4.5's with them after two of mine failed, a third failed before they arrived. The ones that failed looked just as good as the day they left the factory, but failed anyway. Aluminum oxide will do that to them. I spent a couple of hours international long distance talking to Graz (yes, that is what he prefers to be called and not just an internet name) about failures and the design deficeincy that leads to those failures. I'm still debating about whether to get 4 more from him for my RS2.5's, currently they have 4 of the 5 as new condition originals I pulled from the 4.5's since two of the ones on the 2.5's would rarely make annoying sound on some piano passages. He is working on selling what he has left from his second production run, and trust me, he is not ever going to make any more. You can ask him why if you like, I did and that took a good while on the phone. Fall of last year when I got my 8, he had 37 left to sell after my order. They sell slow, that production run is taking years to sell off, and there were just under 100 originally that met his specs if my memory isn't off, maybe it was just over 100. If you call him, he will happily talk your ear off, very nice guy. Contact him through apogee acoustics web site like Jim said. May take a couple days for him to get back to you, Apogee is a very very very small company, pretty much just Graz and a partner full time. Graz's family comes first, before the company. I'm too old to remember that long ago, but I think it took several days to a week before I got an email from him after I initially used Apogee's web site for contact.

Goes to show keep your mouth shut about conversations you've had and have people go straight to the source. Apparently a couple people with money needed more than Graz had on hand and convinced him to set up another production run. Graz did not tell me how many he had on hand now, so you will have to ask him yourself. I was very surprised to have him email me to correct my error.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the information! I'm still curious as to how the Bohlender Graebener units might sound with these speakers, but doesn't seem that anyone has heard them compared to the Infinity EMIMs.
 
Back
Top Bottom