• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Emit Tweeter part numbers

Schiada788

New Member
Looking to replace an emit from an old pair of infinitesimal .1’s, the parts list calls out for a 9023082 Emit. Any differences between that particular model number and the latter RS emits found in the 80s RS 3’s, 4’s, 5’s, and 6’s? Don’t want the sonic signature to change, love these little guys.
 
Register to hide this ad
To be correct you need the round, black faceplate EMIT's. There are round gray faceplates with either blue or orange/red lettering, those will work and most likely sound the same, they just won't LOOK correct. EMITk or EMITr would also not be correct.
Options that would appear correct (round w/black faceplate) include* 490124 and 490126, so would 902-0484, and 902-3082 (according to Klaus' site) http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/Infinitesimal_0.1_technical_sheet.pdf and which is the one you already have.

*There were some variances in Font and angle of the font for the EMIT printing on the faceplate among some Infinity models (I mean models other than Infinitesimals, may have been only the square faceplate versions, not sure) , I have not compared the font on the ones I mentioned above.
 
Last edited:
Look here for EMIT part # info...

Ranking EMIT's

9023082 is the round faceplate with the thin magnet structure.

Look on eBay for a vendor supplying EMIT repair diaphragms, so you can avoid replacIng the entire EMIT.
 
Last edited:
Look here for EMIT part # info...

Ranking EMIT's

9023082 is the round faceplate with the thin magnet structure.

Look on eBay for a vendor supplying EMIT repair diaphragms, so you can avoid replacIng the entire EMIT.


This ^ made me look at some of my spares. This is a very small sampling, not sure if it means anything or not.
490124 have thin magnet structure.
490126 have thick magnet structure.

My Infinitesimal version 0.2 came with blown 490124 EMITs, I replaced those with a pair from my pairs pile (I picked the best pair from among my spares) , I think I used 490126.
I may pull one to double check.

EDIT/ADDED--just pulled one, I did use 490126 as the replacements.
The "cup" on the baffle where the EMIT goes is 3/4" thick on my 0.2 Infinitesimal, so either magnet structure would work with mine. OP might want to check his for depth of the opening/"cup".
 
Last edited:
EDIT/ADDED--just pulled one, I did use 490126 as the replacements.
The "cup" on the baffle where the EMIT goes is 3/4" thick on my 0.2 Infinitesimal, so either magnet structure would work with mine. OP might want to check his for depth of the opening/"cup".
The thin and thick magnet structure EMITs have different efficiencies. Although you can often substitute one for another, you should use the original part #/type if possible.
 
This is cool, I like learning about Infinity products.
Just did some measuring, thin structure is about 1/4" thick, thick structure is about 1/2".

When I replaced the blown units (thin magnet) I used the best appearing EMITs (flattest diaphragms) I had, which happened to be the thicker magnet.
Think I'll change those out for a pair of of thin magnet EMITs.

I've admitted before that while an Infinity fan the Infinitesimals just never impressed me.
Maybe changing to the "proper" magnet structure will change my opinion?
Guess I'll find out.
 
Last edited:
The thin and thick magnet structure EMITs have different efficiencies. Although you can often substitute one for another, you should use the original part #/type if possible.

Do you have link to anything showing the efficiencies of the different versions?
 
Do you have link to anything showing the efficiencies of the different versions?
No. My comments are based on electro acoustics. A bigger magnet all else being equal will make a more efficient driver.
 
Last edited:
It would be good to have a simple measurement of both Emit with different magnets. I'll look at my spares and see if I have 2 with different magnets (never paid attention to that), and post a measurement if possible. To me, "phisically bigger magnet" doesn't mean more output, if the magnets are made from different materials.
 
I know my limited samples of thick/thin have the same ohm range. Around 3.0-3.5
I suspect the thick/thin both use samarium cobalt as they are from the same time period.
I guess sensitivity or efficiency would be the measurement that would be most relative to this discussion?
 
Sensitivity would be be most likely variable, but the thicker magnet structure should also go lower.
 
I have 3 spare pairs of emits, 1 silver faceplate as used in the Qa, Qe, Qb, one rounded black faceplate with the EMIT word on it, and one of those round gray with blue printing saying "samarium cobalt planar tweeter". I'll take a small signal, nearfield measurement this next week.
 
I have 3 spare pairs of emits, 1 silver faceplate as used in the Qa, Qe, Qb, one rounded black faceplate with the EMIT word on it, and one of those round gray with blue printing saying "samarium cobalt planar tweeter". I'll take a small signal, nearfield measurement this next week.
Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom