• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Emotiva XPS 1 vs Cambridge 651p pre-amps

MNSLD2

Active Member
Any idea about the sound quality, overall clarity and details given by these amps independently of the price they are available for?

If not compared then whoever has the experience with either of these can leave their reviews and opinions :)
 
Register to hide this ad
I had them both and could compare back to back for a bit. This was right around the time I was changing from MM carts to MC cartridges, so I did a lot of back and forth listening. In the end I sold the Cambridge and kept the Emotiva.

For moving magnet cartridges, I thought the two were comparable...quiet...accurate...good gain. They were both good enough to show differences in sound between a Shure M91ED and a Shure V15 type iii, and the differences between a generic stylus and a JICO SAS. They both easily beat out an ART DJ pre - drums, for instance, were much more realistic with the Emotiva or Cambridge compared to the ART DJ.

For MC carts, I chose the Emotiva over the Cambridge, largely due to the better adjustability options. The Emotiva also gave better detail than the Cambridge. With the Emotiva, I could easily hear differences between MM carts and MC carts. With the Cambridge, MM and MC carts sounded more alike than different. The Emotiva also gave a better sense of depth and space than the Cambridge, so the Emotiva stayed and I sold the Cambridge.

For a point of reference, here's what I was using when comparing these two phono stages:

Dual 1229Q with a Shure cartridge. (usually the V15iii)
Rega P5, with a Dynavector Ruby or an AT OC-9 mlii (but I did mount the V15iii on the Rega for a trial)

Hope this helps!
 
Back
Top Bottom