• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Empire 150 cart on a Pioneer PL-5 worth keeping?

jar4ever

New Member
Hello, just getting into vintage TTs and I picked up a Pioneer PL-5. It came with an Empire 150 cartridge of unknown age. The stylus would definitely need to be replaced, which looks like it would cost $20-$30. Is this cart worth keeping, or should I just get something new? If so, what sort of carts should I be looking at for this light weight carbon fiber tone arm? Sorry if there is already a thread on this, but I tried searching around quite a bit. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Your Empire is a clone of the Azden YM-10C. There were also an identical-looking Empire clones of this cartridge, and they came with a basic conical or a basic elliptical. Not a bad cartridge, but the restricted choices of available styli brand it as strictly entry-level. With a light carbon arm like the one on our Pioneer PL tables, I'd recommend something that tracks at 1.5g, preferably less. The Shure M97xe qualifies (though its brush obviates the need for a light arm), but there are a few other choices. What's your budget for this caper?
 
Last edited:
Thanks, looking for something with lower tracking force with my lightweight tone arm makes sense. Found a stylus for $15 so I got that and we'll see how it sounds after I get the TT all fixed up and restored. I'll still look into a new cartridge though, budget is probably around $100.
 
Avoid the AT95e. Nice enough budget cart but doesn't match up well with the ultra low mass arm on the PL-5.
 
Grado makes excellent cartridges in Brooklyn N.Y. The Prestige series starts at $75 and maxes out at $260 for the Gold. It's my daily driver. Tracking forces from 1gr-2gr. 1.5gr seems about perfect. They sound excellent. Just a thought.
 
Back
Top Bottom