• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire Cartridges LTD 200 vs. 8000/XE

4HeadGoose

New Member
Hello all,

I have recently acquired a backup turntable from Facebook Marketplace. I currently own a Thorens TD 165 and bought a Technics SL 5200 to have as a spare. I currently have a Empire LTD 200 cartridge fixed to my Thorens. Is the 8000/XE a better cartridge? The stylus needs replaced on the 8000/XE, is it worth replacing? Or should I continue to use the LTD 200? I have tried to look for more information, but have been unable to find anything of value.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have a new old stock Empire LTD 200, used very sparingly, and the suspension is somewhat of a low compliance. Need a VTF of around 2 grams or more to avoid mistracking. I have rated it an A+ on my Linda Ronstadt test record "For Sentimental Reasons" side two Little Girl Blue and Round Midnight which have many "S" sounds and high dynamic vocals, plus close to the label. I have found these two tracks to be a torture test for sibilance, igd and distortion on vocals when belted out. The LTD 200 keeps good company with Grace F9e, Pickering XSV 3000 and Astatic MF 200.
 
Back
Top Bottom