• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Engine Oil On Turntable Bearings

With about a half a million gallons available to me here at work I shouldn't have to worry about my TT bearings anytime soon huh.:D

You should know that refined crude oils such as passenger motor vehicle oils will and do thicken up over time and can leave a nasty residue as well as any crud it collects.

However a synthetic industrial lubricant with a simular weight/and viscosity
would be a much better choice in the long run. If you can't find machine oil
Locally works for you then I would recommend a synthetic in the 0-20 range
wich is engineered for the higher specs in BMWs etc etc.
 
I don't know the specifics, or even if this is true, but I have always been told that you should use a non-detergent oil in applications like this where the lubricant is not changed regularly due to the fact that detergent oils are designed to absorb moisture.

Again, I'm not a chemist, but this makes sense to me. It could be dead wrong. Who knows?

Zach

You are correct, most motor oils (passenger and heavy duty) contain an agent wich emulsifies any water/ moisture and will turn white once activated to trap the moisture. Unless the percentage of moisture is too high at wich point the water will settle below the oil due to weight (water is much heavier)
 
I wonder if some oils work better than others depending on the tolerances of the spindle/bearing?

I'm no bearing expert, but based on my knowledge of fluids and mechanical systems I would say very yes. Before applying random oil to a turntable spindle I would try to find a service manual for the specific brand and model of turntable, and follow the manufacturer recommendations if available.
 
The correct OEM Technics oil is available from KAB for around $5. Two drops every 2,000 hours, should last you forever and why would you want to use anything else?
 
Typical electric motor lubricating oil is about an SAE 20 weight, non-detergent oil. Most sewing machine oils and such are nothing more than electric motor oil.

The problem with motor oil, whether it be synthetic or pure-base, are the additives, viscosity modifiers, and detergents. The combustion process inside an engine leaves a lot of by-products that need to be removed or they accumulate. Some of these by-products are very difficult to disolve. Engine oil has to maintain its properties under wide temperature and pressure ranges, both when dry and when contaminated.

Taking this example to the extreme, someone told me once that gear/transmission oil in certain turntable bearings works very well. SAE 80W-90 hypoid gear oil has extremely agressive sulphur-based additives to lubricate the extremely high pressure that comes from the sliding between the contact areas of hypoid gear teeth under load. I know in prolonged contact with brass hypoid gear oil will cause pitting due to the chemical reaction, not to mention how it makes my hands break out with hives when it comes in contact with my skin. Therefore, I would not recommend it for any turntable application...

Now, I have not seen anyone discuss, from a chemistry perspective, whether motor/diesel/gear oil is compatible with the more typical materials used for turntable bearings. Perhaps one of our members with more chemistry knowledge can give an opinion?

Myself, I prefer to use non-detergent oils when possible (usually single grade oils, not multigrade).
 
Back
Top Bottom