• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EPI/Human Speakers - Are Huw Powell's (Human) Tweets as Smooth as EPI Originals?

Sometimes, some pretty simple looking structures do some pretty complex acoustic things.

When air-spring/air-mass (Hemholtz resonance and such) effects, transmission line (wavelength) effects, reflections (cancellation/refraction/summation) and such are all considered- what LOOKS like a simple piece of curved wood, may be doing several very complicated things at the same time...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Agree on that, as I said, not discounting anything there. I just liked the words "complex" cabinet...Sometimes I think things get a bit overblown to make something seem more complicated or technical, just because. We like things like that, and gives some credibility to it all. Its all good though!
 
I can't speak for the replacement drivers but I do have a pair of Huw's Model 81, which is a modernized EPI 100. Having used Genesis speakers in the past, I can say that the sound of Huw's new drivers is as smooth and unfatiguing as the originals but with a bit more detail and extension. It is the old EPI/Epicure/Genesis sound as I remember it.
 
I had my Silent speakers somewhere around 2014/2015(Yikes, it was 2013, time flies!), and had the drivers out, just poking around. I could not find any type of code on the mid/bass driver, and nothing specific on the tweeter either. The tweeter reminded me of a popular Vifa(Tymphany?) model though, which wasn't around then, so who knows. Regardless, the Silents sounded very good overall.

I would love to hear a pair of Huw's model 81, they have me curious, just not sure curious enough to actually buy a pair.
 
Last edited:
I have literally all of Huw's drivers (6", 8", 10" woofer and inverted dome tweeter) and 6" and 8" EPIs. They are all excellent. Huw's tweeters are close to EPI but as you can imagine they're a slightly different sound coloration. The EPI tweeter is a a little mellower, Huw's has a little more edge. The woofers are very close and really great. Huw's 10" woofer is among the best I've heard.

One big difference is power handling - Huw's blow away the EPIs.
 
I posted this a few months back, I still have a set of EPI90's that I'd like to give away, intact or for parts.

"I have an original set of EPI 90's in Ann Arbor, MI. Vinyl covered cabinets, and the vinyl did not age well. Kind of sticky. Woofer surrounds are shot. Units are in original condition. I'll ship the complete speakers or drivers / crossovers only just to clear some space. I have another set of similar 2 ways (Genesis), so I've checked that box. I believe these are in working condition (except for the rotted surrounds) but this is an as-is deal. I hope someone can keep these units out of the landfill. Free pickup, parts shipped for cost of shipping only."
 
Back
Top Bottom