• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EPI M150s!!

two sevens

Active Member
So I just picked up a pair of M150s here locally on craigslist from a fellow AKer and they are sounding quite nice in combo with my Yamaha CR 2020!:music:
Not to mention the fact that as others have mentioned these are extremely well built cabinets which are quite beautiful to look at...wondering if others have experience with a Yamaha / EPI combo?

So I have been reading up on these by way of AK threads and also the Human Speaker site. However, I was wondering what optimal placement would be for them...in other words, how high off the ground should they be? The Human Speaker site suggests that the tweets should be about ear height. When sitting in my living room that's about 40-42 inches off the ground. Tweets are about 15 inches from the bottom of the speakers, so does that mean I need approximately 24 inch speaker stands??? Seems high to me... Any advice is appreciated...

Finally, any suggestions on speaker stands?
 
Register to hide this ad
I had M180s hooked to a CR-820 and thought it was a great combo even better than with my Marantz. As for placement what about flipping the speakers over?
 
Glad to hear there are others who like the the Yamaha receiver / EPI combo! never thought about flipping the speakers...:scratch2:
 
I was running my 100v's with a yamaha m4 which sounded great to me. Way more power than they need. I am just recaping and refoaming them now. For the 20 i spent on them they sound great and are in good condition for a speaker from 1980.
 
You don't have to worry about having the tweeter at any specific level as the dispersion on these is very wide. You will be able to hear everything they produce from pretty much anywhere in the room. If you st them directly on the floor it will couple the bottom end some. Try that and see what you think.

I don't know what kind of power your Yamaha produces but all of the EPI line sounds better the more power they have.

The more time you spend with these the more you will realize how good they are.
 
I'm confused. Flipping the speakers puts the tweeters lower, so you then need an even higher speaker stand. Don't see the advantage to that....

24" sounds about right, but a shorter height will be an good improvement too. Even a 3.5" high square of 2x4s helps.
 
I'm confused. Flipping the speakers puts the tweeters lower, so you then need an even higher speaker stand. Don't see the advantage to that....

24" sounds about right, but a shorter height will be an good improvement too. Even a 3.5" high square of 2x4s helps.

That's because there is no advantage to that. It would actually be a disadvantage.

Sounds to me like you are moving in the right direction. Carry on.
 
So I just picked up a pair of M150s here locally on craigslist from a fellow AKer and they are sounding quite nice in combo with my Yamaha CR 2020!:music:
Not to mention the fact that as others have mentioned these are extremely well built cabinets which are quite beautiful to look at...wondering if others have experience with a Yamaha / EPI combo?

So I have been reading up on these by way of AK threads and also the Human Speaker site. However, I was wondering what optimal placement would be for them...in other words, how high off the ground should they be? The Human Speaker site suggests that the tweets should be about ear height. When sitting in my living room that's about 40-42 inches off the ground. Tweets are about 15 inches from the bottom of the speakers, so does that mean I need approximately 24 inch speaker stands??? Seems high to me... Any advice is appreciated...

Finally, any suggestions on speaker stands?

Ear height is good. You may lose a bit of perceived bass, but the clarity should step out some for you. Before buying or building stands, try sitting them on something to listen at different heights. When you find what you like best, then build or buy some stands of that height.

They are beautiful cabinets when in good condition! Oh, and that Burhoe module is sweet!
 
Or you could sit on the floor:D.

Seriously though, if you want to keep them a little lower. Try and lean them back some so they point closer to your ears height at the listening position. Good luck!
 
That's because there is no advantage to that. It would actually be a disadvantage.

Sounds to me like you are moving in the right direction. Carry on.


Uh-huh, down is wrong direction to take tweeter. OTOH, maybe the idea of flipping is mainly to get the woofer further from the floor, reducing undesired bass coupling. I just thought of that.
 
That is an interesting thing about Winslow's designs. Many, in fact, most speakers tend to get thumpy at a specific frequency when they sit directly on the floor. The EPI line does not do that. It will, however, increase the bass some but not to the point where it is out of proportion with the rest of the bandwidth.

Experiment. But do it, at least initially, with the tone controls set flat.
 
He definately knew what he was doing with the epi speakers. I may not ever get rid of my 100v's once i recap them. The burhoe module is great. I may pick up some 180's as well, that i have seen listed for a while.
 
Thanks to all who have replied! I will experiment more starting with the speakers on the floor and go up from there. Good to know they don't necessarily eve have to be on stands! Perhaps a lower stand angled upward would also be a good thing to look into...these have been very fun to listen to over the last few days! Oh and the CR 2020 is rated 105 watts per channel.
 
Back
Top Bottom