• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Epi tweeter options

Rescue

Good Juju
I've rescued some post-burhoe epi t/e 320's from a friend for the cost of moving a sleeper couch.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-te320.htm

The mids are ceased up toast. The woofers were rebuilt by Huw at Human Speakers back in 2000, and the tweeters "work" (certainly not like the inverted air springs that epi is known for) but one is punctured.

The obvious answer for the mids are found at Human Speakers, and those are on the docket if I can get a hold of Huw.

My question comes with the tweeters. The stock tweeters are plastic domes, Huw's replacements are inverted aluminum domes. There are also a few sets of original epi 4-3/8" inverted dome tweeters running around on the big ol' auction site. While I'm sure Huw's replacements sound fine, I'm torn between them and getting an epi plastic/paper inverted dome set.

Original tweeters
010-0940.jpg


Huw's replacement
002me4.jpg


and the older epi tweeter that I'm tempted to use
62409.jpg


What do you guys think?

I'm up for other suggestions too. Something just about 4-3/8 to 4-1/4 will fit in the recess.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The new HU are aluminum domes and ferrofluid cooled.
Take a gamble if you got some extra dough, but you know what the real old domes sound like.
Maybe a 12dB crossover would improve the sound even more.
 
I have both, the Epicure M50, purchased new, and the Human clone of that model, with the aluminum tweeter. The original, complete with paper woofer, is in daily use in the living room. 2-ch HT and the DW's primary system. The Humans are boxed up, downstairs.

(The M50s did get recapped, rewired, and binding posts added. The terminal cup got plugged with a piece of mdf, and the new posts mounted through that.)
 
The TE series were brighter than the original EPIs and I thought their cabinets weren't as stout, so they were more resonant. So I didn't like them as much -- the originals had a dry woody sound to my ears, but easy to live with, whereas the TEs were more aggressive. So, to be candid, I would go for the cheaper option, whatever that is, since I am not in love with them to begin with. And that cheaper option may be more authentic, to the degree that matters to you.
 
The TE series were brighter than the original EPIs and I thought their cabinets weren't as stout, so they were more resonant. So I didn't like them as much -- the originals had a dry woody sound to my ears, but easy to live with, whereas the TEs were more aggressive. So, to be candid, I would go for the cheaper option, whatever that is, since I am not in love with them to begin with. And that cheaper option may be more authentic, to the degree that matters to you.

I'll be the first to admit that my ears (damaged from band practices/jams in a tiny room with a mattress set over the door and window) aren't super discerning. I like the way these things sound. I've got some 4" paper cone mids rigged up flush with the face, but they don't do them justice.

I definitely agree with the epi inverted domes being more authentic. Looks like I know what needs to be done then.

Thanks again guys.
 
Back
Top Bottom