• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

EPI tweeter repair

schmikka

AK Member
Subscriber
Hello all - Even as I finally have my EPI 200b's up and running, I found a set of EPI 70c's at a thrift. The magnet of the tweeter on one fell off and severed the wires to the inverted dome. Can these be soldered or reconnected in another way to make them function? I've had to reglue the magnets before on these EPI tweeters - that's no problem. But what about this? Thanks in advance...
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks. It is outside of the dome and the full length is there going in both directions, so I just need to reconnect it where it broke, if that is possible. How do you remove the lacquer?
 
You can burn it off (carefully) with a match or (again, carefully) scrape it off with a knife blade.
If it's a bit short, go ahead and solder some solid core wire to the terminals and connect the dome's leads to it.
 
Hey schmikka.

Are you on a EPI quest? :D

You have to leave some for the rest of us, OK. :yes:

The only thing I'll add to the repair is after you solder the new leads on, coat them with clear nail polish. Go over the solder joint and the new bare wire 2 or 3 times, otherwise they might short out on the tweeter face (if it's metal?). It will also prevent the wire from oxidizing.

You could also put a piece of black tape under the wire, then cover the wire with another strip on top. This will protect it and prevent it from vibrating.

You owe us a bunch of pic's. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom