• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Epos Elan 15's on the way!

StevenZ

Texas or nothin'
Well, so I've been shopping around for a while trying to find a good pair of speakers that had a high-er efficiency and are known to be an easy load, yet not break the bank. I had considered the Reference 3A De Capo BE speakers but even at a decent discount from one of the dealers they were still out of my reach for the moment. So I considered the Decware DM945/946 with it's efficiency of 94db/1w and started digging to find reviews. For the most part everyone liked this speaker but it was always mentioned that the bass was a little wonky; something I don't want to deal with as I haven't fully embraced the distributed bass theory yet (but plan on trying eventually).

So my search continued, keeping in mind that my little Temple Audio Monoblocks are stable down to 2ohm was reassuring that I could expand my search into speakers with odd-ish impedances, such as 6ohm and the lower 4ohm loads. Then I remembered Epos. My buddy had recommended them to me a few years ago and I disregarded them at the time. Looking on their current website I saw that they no longer offer the Elan and Epic series and are seemingly focusing on a new speaker design using a slot port and blowing the prices out. So I went on the search for the vendors with remaining stock and found a nice pair of Elan 15's for a good price. When I contacted the vendor he gave me an even better price so I just couldn't resist.

The Elan 15 should be a very stable 4ohm load with an efficiency of 90db/1w. While this may not exactly be SET friendly, I'd assume these will work very well with my Temple Monoblocks. They are also a perfect fit for my 4-post Sound Anchor stands that have been sitting unused. Everywhere I read all Epos reviews seem to be very positive and with some overly enthusiastic fans. There was a semi-recent review in Stereophile on the Elan 10 (the 15's little brother) that made my decision easier. I know I know, take reviews with a grain of salt. But having read real world people's experiences and trusting the ear of my buddy I was reassured of my purchase (especially at the price I paid).

So here I am, they are said to ship today and I'm ridiculously excited. At the same time I believe my new passive preamp ships today as well (Uriah Dailey built Lighter Note) and both should arrive to the office while I'm on a business trip next week. You bet your tail I can't wait to come back and fire up the new gear/speakers. Oh by the way I ordered the cherry veneer versions. Looking closely this is actual real cherry veneer. Not surprising, right? Wrong. I've recently seen speakers claiming to be cherry veneer or even worse "Rosewood" that are of an unknown species to me. I've seen many veneers before in my life of woodworking and also in my profession and to be honest, some of them are just plain lying and using fake (fast growth tropical??) veneers with crappy stain to try and simulate the natural veneer colors. Tsk tsk....

Anyway, looking forward to their arrival. Do any of you guys have any experience with Epos?
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, just thought I'd give a little update. I came back from a business trip last Friday and finally hooked up the speakers on Saturday. My first thoughts were that they lacked a little detail and were a bit clinical sounding. Very cold and constrained. I let the music flow through them for a few hours and everything started settling in. The detail started coming in and the midrange muffle was clearing up pretty quick. But most surprisingly was the bass weight. Good God these things sound large. The way they fill the room with lovely and very very tuneful bass is just ridiculous. I think I hit the lottery with these and it's a cryin' shame that they don't get more recognition. It's also a shame these particular speakers have been discontinued to make way for what looks like a budget-oriented speaker from Epos.

So far I'm just floored with their performance. It seems like the longer I listen the more revealing these become. The silk dome tweeter owns a special piece of my heart as it has the great ability to be detailed yet retain a smooth sound. These speakers are very non-fatiguing but do not mistake that with rolled highs or lacking detail. What they're giving me is a smooth yet accurate presentation of the music that is just so inviting and welcoming to listen for hours on end. Oh and they pull off the disappearing act pretty well, just in case you're wondering. It took a little time getting the positioning correct in the room but once it was pretty close the speakers just disappeared and gave me a massive soundstage with proper height, yet width and depth seemed extend beyond the walls. Very impressive!

If it sounds like I'm excited it's because I am. These are without a doubt some of the finest monitors I've had the pleasure of hearing and I'm happy with my purchase. Anyone considering a new bookshelf speaker needs to add these to your list of options. Being discontinued you can usually call a vendor and get a much better deal than advertised. Will post photos in a few days.

Cheers,
Steven
 
Thats Great! Told ya. :D

I think I will always regret selling my ES11's but a fellow AK'r was looking for something for his brother-in-law and they were a great fit. I just wasn't using enough to justify them sitting on the sidelines.

The Epos do put out nice bass. It surprises you when it shows up for sure. Very musical speakers. I always liked the sound of Boston Acoustics speakers and I think the Epos are similar but at a higher level.
 
Overall I rate these slightly higher than my Vandersteen 2CE Sigs. My Elan 15s are more dynamic, have a cleaner high end, and a more open soundstage sitting on Target HR60s. Their bass is almost as deep though much quicker. Very easy load - sounds equally good driven by NAD C356BEE or Pyle PT990 (smoother with Pyle, snappier with NAD). These speakers are unbelievably good for their size. Sure glad I got them.
 
Last edited:
Overall I rate these slightly higher than my Vandersteen 2CE Sigs. My Elan 15s are more dynamic, have a cleaner high end, and a more open soundstage sitting on Target HR60s. Their bass is almost as deep though much quicker. Very easy load - sounds equally good driven by NAD C356BEE or Pyle PT990 (smoother with Pyle, snappier with NAD). These speakers are unbelievably good for their size. Sure glad I got them.

Digging up and old thread. I’ve long moved on from the Epos but hope to buy another pair when the brand is brought back hopefully next year. Seems Roy drove the brand into the ground these past few years. The quality seemed to decrease and there was zero innovation. Cheap cabinets with no veneer options, etc.

I’m excited to see their new direction though and glad they brand will be revived from the utter junk they had become.
 
Back
Top Bottom