• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Equalization options..? what do you guys do

I EQ and I ain't afraid to admit it LOL


I actually have a laugh when I hear many find equalisers unacceptable when it is used in every type of mastering studio today.

Possibly it is a lack of understanding how to use an equaliser properly why many don't fancy them.

Best Regards,
 
anyone know of any good software that will do spectrum analyzation? im getting ideas

TrueRTA is a spectrum analysis package one that has basic free version, but you pay to upgrade to finer resolution. Room EQ Wizard is free and will make a curve of your room response, plus a whole lot more.
 
I've got one on layaway- same model that I had 25 years ago-
Just for looks. Same as my turntable.
I might use it. I might not.
But it completes the picture-
 
I'll say to anyone that doesn't EQ to get REW (Room EQ Wizard) or a similar program, learn how to properly use it and interpret the results, and then decide for yourself if just MAYBE your set-up and listening space might perhaps benefit from some of the similar techniques most engineers working with studios and concert venues use to tame errant room responses. They are certainly not using the very basic REW and a 10 band EQ, but they do analyze and EQ. If your gear and space isn't reasonably flat and non-colorized how can you expect reasonably correct reproduction of the source material ?
 
Think about this. 99% of the people here that don't use an equalizer, used to have one in their system at one time. They know why they don't use them anymore. But if that is what makes you happy with your system, you should use one. I'm all for it either way.
 
anyone tried a pa system eq? like a 32 band?
ive been kicking that idea around as well...

I use a Yamaha 31 band per channel GEQ for removing microphone feedback in small rooms. Once I hooked it up to my stereo system just for kicks and it was interesting but way more work just to get a nice sound than you can imagine!
31 (62 sliders total) is just way too much dinking around when all I want to do is listen to some tunes.
The more controls the more time it consumes to get a good sound. I think anything more than a 10 band GEQ for a basic system is overkill.. unless you're using it to get a flat frequency response in the room. Most people use them to colour the sound though and for that 10 is enough ;)

Personally some of the best systems I have listened to had nothing more than a bass/mid/high variable control.
If you have a good set of speakers and a nice amp and good music going into it then there shouldn't be a need for more than that IMHO.
However to each their own :music:
 
Last edited:
the majority of eq's squish the dynamic range in my opinion.

Really? That's a new one to me. Those must be some awfully bad/noisy EQs you're testing, or the signal is being pushed so hard that your power amps are clipping.

Can you elaborate a little?

je
 
I used to have an EQ in my system back when my amps and sources were not that great.

I still have the option but would rather not use any of them.

Sounds just more true, pure, better, closer to the original without eq, tonecontrols or loudness.

Using digital room correction is out of the question here as it would compromise the analog chain options with a degrade in sound quality as a consequense.

But I'm not in doubt that some set-ups could benefit from the use of eq's.

And if people like the buttons and a lot of units in the racks, that's one way to go.

"dolph"
 
Well, unless one lives in an anechoic camber, using an EQ of some sort, typically parametric, with room treatments is the only way to get flat response. However, not everyone cares about having flat response, or wants to invest the time/money to achieve it.
 
Anyone that does not keep their bass and treble controls at 0db is using an EQ. ...a simple 2-band EQ, which is what those bass and treble knobs are. High and Mid cut pots on your speaker cabs is also a form of EQ. Hitting the "Loudness" button is also using an EQ. Use of an external 10, 15 or 31 band EQ only increases your ability to shape your sound to your liking and help you realize the full potential of your speakers. The thing is, most people have no idea how to use one properly. If you ever see an EQ with some sexy sweeping pattern on it, its usually only a testimony to the ignorance of its owner. If there is humor in audio equipment, the ski-slope EQ setting has to be it.

You're on the right track by seeking out a spectrum analyzer. I use "Graphic Equalizer Studio 2.5" which is a free program available from PAS: http://www.audio-software.com/, along with a pink noise CD that I made using the download from Media College: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/noise/download.html This combo of programs along with a high quality microphone seems to work remarkably well.

My main system is setup with an SSI Dolby 4.0 Decoder for optional Quad (awesome, btw.. I rarely bypass it) On the main cabs I have a DBX231 31 Band Pro-Stage:

231front_lg.jpg

...and on the rears I use an AudioSource EQ-FOUR 10-Band:

eq4.jpg

Use of an equalizer definitely falls into the "Love-it or Hate-it" category. If they interest you.. get one. Buy high quality and learn to use it properly. Play with it and have fun, which is what the hobby is all about. Only you can decide if an EQ is right for you. Personally I think they only enhance what you have. When I disengage that "bypass" button people are nothing less than blown away by the difference.
 
I use tubes.. I use an EQ... Blasphemy to many, but it sounds good to me, and I haven't heard anyone that's listened to my system complain about it.. but rather more along the lines of rave..
 
Most EQs will add some sort of distortion to your system, so i try to keep it as simple and clean as i possibly can. With the exception of some of the old soundcraftsman EQs, i wouldn't even bother.
 
At 20-20kHz the THD on the DBX231 is 0.004%. Comparatively, THD on a Soundcraftsmen RP2215-R is 0.01%. I don't know if they built anything with less Harmonic Distortion, although I do like the EQ-to-Record feature on the SC a lot.
 
anyone tried a pa system eq? like a 32 band?
ive been kicking that idea around as well...

I don't think you really need 32 bands with a parametric equalizer. Usually 3-4 "nodes" are enough and with 6-8 you can do wonders.

I have 2 parametric equalizers, 5 nodes stereo each (Technics SH-9010) that I have used. I also have a 2x33 band graphic equalizer.

And then I have a room that sounds ... not so good.

I have measured the room with REW (Room Equalization Wizard) and it has peaks and nulls around the primary modal frequencies that span abou 25~30dB (when the room is untreated).

It's certain that the equalizer can't correct such peaks and nulls.

The problem with room correction is that the fault isn't just a frequency response shaping issue. The main problem is in the "time axis" with reverberation, flutter echoes and frequency response dips at the frequencies where standing waves are formed.

And the most interesting issue is that the problem is different in every different spot of the room. Do a measurement with a mic located where your right ear should be, get a picture. Measure again where the left ear should be, get a different one.

I don't believe the rooms can be corrected by means of an equalizer. Speakers and sources perhaps. A 6dB/octave rolloff in the bass can be smoothened to 3dB/octave for an octave or so using a single node of a parametric equalizer. A trebble shy cassette tape can become more listenable if the high frequencies are slightly boosted. A dip or peak in the loudspeaker response at certain frequencies can be attenuated by setting a node at that frequency, selecting the appropriate Q to encircle the bandwidth required and set the level to increase or decrease output at that zone.

But the rooms require a much more targeted aproach.
 
Last edited:
THD with all controls in the flat position 2V output at 1kHz on my SG-50(M) and SG-750 is 0.003%
THD at 20Hz to 20kHz it is 0.003%

Signal to Noise ratio 2V output is 116dB

I can't hear that distortion so I guess for me and my humble old system worrying about the "EQ" adding distortion ain't a big deal

My amp is rated at continuous power output is 0.1% at 1w=1w it's .04%

Again don't think I can hear that.
 
At 20-20kHz the THD on the DBX231 is 0.004%. Comparatively, THD on a Soundcraftsmen RP2215-R is 0.01%. I don't know if they built anything with less Harmonic Distortion, although I do like the EQ-to-Record feature on the SC a lot.

There is no way anyone can audibly identify an added 0.01% THD. Not even 0.1% is really audible.

It's the 2 and 3% being added by a misaligned cart or a tape deck in bad shape or overloaded recording or a clipping amplifier or loudspeakers that can easily add up to a systemwide THD of 10% or more.
 
Well, unless one lives in an anechoic camber, using an EQ of some sort, typically parametric, with room treatments is the only way to get flat response. However, not everyone cares about having flat response, or wants to invest the time/money to achieve it.

I once worked for Rockwell, and had unlimited access to a retired anechoic camber, that was stashed away in a warehouse. Trust me, that's not a space you would like to spend a lot of time in. The lack of sound reflection makes you dizzy. It's a weird sensation, and nothing like any real world circumstance. Knowbody would even want this situation in there living room.


The entire room was surrounded by about 2 foot foam cones, and the room was 1/2 domed in shape, the floor was a suspended mesh, and resembled a trampoline. On second thought, this would make a great room in my house! Add in A few black lights, and lava lamps, I might get so disorientated, that I may never find my way out.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom