• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

equiptment reviews(magazines)

Would there be copyright issues with magazines and companies that have gone out of existence? It seems to me that Roger Russell and others have been selling copies of reviews from High Fidelity and Stereo Review for years, and if doing it for profit doesn't get them in trouble (though I suppose it is possible that they secured permission), then doing it as a service for a group shouldn't either.
 
It seems to me that Roger Russell and others have been selling copies of reviews from High Fidelity and Stereo Review for years, and if doing it for profit doesn't get them in trouble (though I suppose it is possible that they secured permission), then doing it as a service for a group shouldn't either.

nat,
i was just about to bring that up also but you beat me too it.
 
I like the picture in your signature. I have one of those George Gott preamplifiers which I have used to good effect when playing 78s. There is more than a slight resemblance to the McIntosh C8. I wonder, which came first?

hi tc,
yes there is a strong resemblance to the c8.the c8 actually came first and i believe mcintosh even sued biggs of california over it.i've been looking for info on it but so far havnt come up with much.by any chance do you have the manual for yours?

chris
 
Biggs of California

Sorry, no manual. I picked up my unit used years ago without documentation.
 
copyright

Nat said:
Would there be copyright issues with magazines and companies that have gone out of existence?
Many of the out of print audio magazines merged with other magazines. Audiocraft merged with High Fidelity, later High Fidelity merged with Stereo Review and later still Stereo Review merged with Sound and Vision which is still being published. In all probability, someone owns the copyright to this material.

Nat said:
It seems to me that Roger Russell and others have been selling copies of reviews from High Fidelity and Stereo Review for years, and if doing it for profit doesn't get them in trouble (though I suppose it is possible that they secured permission), then doing it as a service for a group shouldn't either.
I do not know if they obtained permission, determined that permission was not needed or are “flying under the radar”.

Some copyrights may have expired if they were not renewed. It may be that permission to reprint will be easy to obtain at no cost to AK. It used to be that copyright infringement had civil penalties only. In more recent years criminal penalties have been added. For more copyright information start by checking out this website:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

Hey, I like the idea of sharing. I only bring up the issue because I would hate to see the good folks running AudioKarma get into trouble inadvertently. Like I said earlier, it may be easy to get permission or find out if the copyrights have expired. Better safe than sorry.
 
Back
Top Bottom