• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

ESS AMT-1A Score... Now time to Rebuild...

sansui9090

Active Member
Hi All,
Picked up a pair of ESS AMT-1A speakers
that need to be refoamed, as well as need some TLC to the boxes, and have no hood... So will have to make up something to put over them.

Now the fun Begins...
Will take Pics as I go.

Cheers!
Mark
 

Attachments

  • 100_0697.jpg
    100_0697.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_0698.jpg
    100_0698.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 145
Register to hide this ad
Whatever you go thru, it wil be worth it. I'm really looking forward to your end result. Probably don't want to ask here about replacing the passive radiators. Got a little heated! Have fun.
 
I'm excited for you! I had a pair of them back in the early 90s and really enjoyed them. I'd love to hear what my ears would think about them nowadays.
 
Hi Guys,
Well Luckily the passive radiators are OK,
so have just refoamed the drivers, shimmed the VC and here is one of them "clamped" ... LOL (anyway my crude system works)
Cheers!
Mark
 

Attachments

  • 100_0699.jpg
    100_0699.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 111
Hi Guys,
Well Luckily the passive radiators are OK,
so have just refoamed the drivers, shimmed the VC and here is one of them "clamped" ... LOL (anyway my crude system works)
Cheers!
Mark

Put a morning smile on my face with that one.. Hey if it works what the heck. Really though take it slow and do it right, these are some awesome speaker and as long as the Heils are working (even if not they can be repaired too) there isn't too much to them to restore. If you need, I have a pair of these that I think are identical, I can give you the measurement and photos of the top covers. Personally I recommend once they are done, sit on your favorite seat in front of them, with your favorite beverage (Coffee in my case) and crank up some Santana Europa. Ok that's what I did, your taste may vary. Good luck and enjoy them, they are a legend.
Oh also go to Wiki and read about Oskar Heil, an amazing mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Heil


Peace
 
Awesome! Enjoy them. I know I enjoy my AMTs!

Those woofers look like the models from the AMT 1Bs though. Are you sure they aren't 1Bs? (Not that the repairs would be any different.)

IBJamon
 
Great score-nice job so far on the woofers-apparently they can be tricky, as the gaps seems to be narrow-at least on the Alnico paper cones.
Luckly the passive don't need work yet.
Recap/rewire and seal (epoxy for strength-followed by silicone to seal) those cabinets and you will be in AMT heaven!:music:
Santana,Blue Grass,Johnny Cash, Skynyrd etc, it will all sound wonderful.
Amazing for sure is piano, the timber and tone is perect, really amazing.
If you have breakers-check'em out- as they are a weak point. Personally I would opt for a fuse.
If you would, document your construction of the replacement grill covers/tops-as it will be helpful for those in the future having to deal with missing/trashed grill tops-a common problem so it seems.
I would also use some Hurricane nuts or the like on the woofers, and use epoxy to strengthen the baffle edges were the woofers seal, along with speaker gasketing tape.
I agree with the 'Shack-Oscar Heil's 'da bomb'.
AMt's aren't merly speakers you listen to-they let you become involved with the music -precisely why I became a audio nut (I'll leave the Audiophile to H. Rollins)-equipment is a means to a end-sheer musical involvement-and those AMT's will deliver that!
 
Last edited:
Congratulations to you on finding these....

they have somewhat become my holy grail.......
one day....one day....they will be mine......one day!

Keep us posted and I hope you thoroughly enjoy them and the process of rebuilding them!

cheers to you!
 
Just got done about a month ago with my covers for mine. Should have taken pictures of the process. I think they turned out pretty good.

DSC04837-1.jpg


DSC04836.jpg
 
Good job Stinz on the covers. When I had mine, if the covers had not been included, I would have painted all the black bits VERY shinny black and left them exposed. I think they look good that way.
 
Just got done about a month ago with my covers for mine. Should have taken pictures of the process. I think they turned out pretty good.

Nice job on those covers- I agree they look nice without them as well-but it also depends on wether you have little curious fingers around the house.
Curious if they sound better with or without grills:scratch2:.
My AMT'3s seems to sound more or less the same on or off -but I don't listen to them much with them off-2 3 year old twins would soon wreak havoc on the drivers!!:sigh:.
Dad doesn't need that!:D
 
Thanks for the Opinions of these Speakers,
have never heard a pair running yet, so They have a Big Reputation to uphold.:scratch2:

Both woofers have been refoamed, Have just glued back the dustcaps, drying now. :smoke:
So tomorrow will get the drivers back in to test that all is working properly,
Then will get a mate of mine that is the "crossover king" to do his bit in there.

I will then get working on the grille tops....
If stinz or Shackman55, can assist in sizes for me constructing the top covers, that will be Great!!

Cheers!
Mark
 
Hi Guys,
Well Luckily the passive radiators are OK,
so have just refoamed the drivers, shimmed the VC and here is one of them "clamped" ... LOL (anyway my crude system works)
Cheers!
Mark

In the future, consider using clothes pins, or my favorite, metal binder clips usually used for clamping paper stacks. I've used the 3/8 to 1/2 inch clips, about 8-12 clips for the whole circumference, come in colors too besides black. Beauty of using these is you glue the surround to the cone, then center them using a test tone and then clamp the surround to the frame. Once fully checked for VC rub, you can remove a 90 degree section of clamps, glue, reclamp, recheck centering. Repeat x 3 till all surround is done. Any clamp marks will be covered by the appropriate gasket on top of the outer surround section. Clamps will also work well for the gasket too.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Colored-Metal-Binder-Clips/product_SS831628

I usually let glue dry at least 24 hours before use.
 
Just let me know when you are going to begin your cover project and get you the measurements that I used. As far as if the sound better with them on or off I think they sound much better with the covers on.
 
Finally, I have these heavy beasts in action. And all I can say is WOW!!
These things sound Amazing!
Full Fat solid bottom end and incedible mids and Hi's...
Stevie Ray Vaughan, never sounded so good.
And I thought that they may be good to trade off for something else, but these are in My Keeper List.
That is saying something, as I have well over 50 Pairs of speakers and will be only keeping 8 pairs. The rest will be sold off to go to new owners that will use and appreciate them.
Whoo!! Hoo!!
 
Now time to Build them top covers... can anybody give me some help with sizes and Stuff??
Cheers!
Mark From Down Under
 
Check your PM and report back!
Is it just me or should there be a collection of all threads regarding the ESS AMT speakers soon? :)
 
Back
Top Bottom