• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ESS AMT1a.. bookshelf?

Mariners

Active Member
Hello, I've recently acquired a pair of ESS AMT1a bookshelf speakers. They do not have the extra piece on top or come in the Pyramid enclosures. I'm wondering if anybody has any information on them, and any information on the woofers. They badly need a refoam.

I don't have a camera readily available, so I will take pictures soon I promise.
 
Register to hide this ad
A set just sold on e***.They are actually very big to be called a bookshelf.They are two way since the wonder tweeter will get lower than most.They have a radiator on the back which is usually shot as well.I'm told the needed foam is readily available on e****.They apparently require some significant power the sound their best.I wanted the pair on e**** for the wonderful tweeters,Maybe you snagged them!?
 
They're actually not those versions, they don't have a passive on the back. This is the problem I'm running into in trying to find information about my ESS'.

Guesstimating the measurements they're about 2' x 1' 1'
 
ESS AMT1aBookshelf info

They're actually not those versions, they don't have a passive on the back. This is the problem I'm running into in trying to find information about my ESS'.

Guesstimating the measurements they're about 2' x 1' 1'
Hi Mariners:
Nice score!:banana:
The 1a Bookshelf speakers look like this see attach.
The 1a Bookshelf have no passive radiator in the rear
( the 1b Bookshelf version on ePay which have the passive in the rear)

The 1a use a 12 in paper cone driver.
The 1b version uses a Bextrene 12 in driver.

Look kind of like what you have? :yes:
Resurround material and kits are available from the advertisers on the forum- might be nice to support the people that help make info available here, some have found Parts Express as well as ePay good sources as well.
There are threads and a sticky at the beginning of the speaker forum that describe the process of resurrounding.
If you dont want to resurround your self again there are advertisers, and members who offer that service, and don't forget your local area shops.
Because of the age of the components in the crossover (30 years) the capacitors will probablly need to be replace ( see earlier post on re-caping) so be sure to evaluate the crossovers for component values and poor traces and solder points on the pc board.I suggest you check the voice coil on the driver for movement s/b no binding- free to push the center of the speaker in and return to rest freely.

Shine a light behind the amt and look for even pleats, no discoloration, or signs of overheating.


I think you will find that these sound the best with the amt driver at a height of the ear in your listening area, but be sure to experiment with different placements to find what is most suitable for you and your conditions.
Hope that helps.

If you PM or Email me your serial no.s I will add them to the data base.:D


@
 

Attachments

  • ESS AMT 1a.JPG
    ESS AMT 1a.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Yup, that's them. Thanks for the information. Do you know if there is a specific type of surround that is strictly for these drivers? I will PM you when I have the chance. The speakers are not with me at the moment.
 
Yup, that's them. Thanks for the information. Do you know if there is a specific type of surround that is strictly for these drivers? I will PM you when I have the chance. The speakers are not with me at the moment.
My experience was that the vendor advertised it as being for ESS 12 inch driver- but it did not fit exactly- the outer foam diameter was about 3/16 in to large to fit the recess in the basket.

- and their reply was to cut it to fit.

So my word of caution it so ask if it is the specific size for your driver
(measure the outer diameter of the cone and the outter mating diameter of the surrround in the aluminum mounting ring. I think it is worth the extra $4-8.

@
 
There are a couple of fellows here on AK that sell foams, if you do a search, GordonW may be a source of info and maybe foams too. PM him and ask. I wished I had known that before I bought mine, not that I had any particular problems, I just would like to support the folks here first. I have found all the folks that sell the foams to be the most accommodating and helpful of any of the parts sellers.
 
My experience was that the vendor advertised it as being for ESS 12 inch driver- but it did not fit exactly- the outer foam diameter was about 3/16 in to large to fit the recess in the basket.

- and their reply was to cut it to fit.

So my word of caution it so ask if it is the specific size for your driver
(measure the outer diameter of the cone and the outter mating diameter of the surrround in the aluminum mounting ring. I think it is worth the extra $4-8.

@

Yup - they are AMT-1b (b=bookshelf = enclosed BIG and VALUABLE Emit). I've had a pair since new from 1978. I kept mine original cept for re-cap and re-foam, you should be able to find a foam kit easily. I did mine, caps and foam but forget where I got the foam kit. You have the Bextene woofers (look like black plastic.. which I think they are). Worth fixing for sure... wait till you listen after a re-cap. This is a great sounding speaker with a smallish enclosure, good for small to medium size rooms, hence the bookshelf designation. Probably geared to dorm room sound but sound good in my home. DO NOT GET RID OF THE TWEETERS. They go for big $$ no kidding. Actually I am kidding.. you need to part out the Heil tweets and send them to me for ship cost and get a real set of horn loaded speakers. :smoke: Oh and don't loose one of the rings holding the passive thing on the back, it took me 2 years to get a replacement.

Cheers,

Bob
 
A set just sold on e***.They are actually very big to be called a bookshelf.They are two way since the wonder tweeter will get lower than most.They have a radiator on the back which is usually shot as well.I'm told the needed foam is readily available on e****.They apparently require some significant power the sound their best.I wanted the pair on e**** for the wonderful tweeters,Maybe you snagged them!?

Chezz, you guy's and you ESS cannabilizing:scratch2:!
Orange County Speakers could probaly set you up with the correct surround-or contact the present ESS. Apparently they are, or will be set up for driver repairs/replacements, like the old company. The, they just ran a exchange which worked out nicely.
 
Back
Top Bottom