• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Essence HDACC

Alpha Lima

Treading Water
Hello, everyone!

I'm intrigued by the Essence HDACC DAC w/ HDMI decoding (the older model, not the more expensive 4K version). Remote controllable, with an OLED display and a host of input and output options, it looks like an amazing value at only $400.

Have any of you had any experience with it? If so, please share your opinions about it.

I've read some nice reviews of the HDACC, but Essence has no real return policy (unless a unit's DOA), so I need to have all the information I can get on it before I make a purchase. Especially since $400 is basically the upper limit of my budget for a DAC to take the place of the 16-bit Cirrus Logic one in my Bel Canto s300iD integrated amp.

My speakers are KEF LS50s connected by AntiCables Level 3.1 speaker wire, and a pair of SVS SB12-NSD subs hooked up to the variable outs of the Bel Canto; unbalanced interconnects would be AntiCables Level 2.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
For HDMI I would have bump up my budget and looked for a used NAD M51 or C 510 instead, the reviews indicate they are real nice machines and better resale value for sure.
 
For HDMI I would have bump up my budget and looked for a used NAD M51 or C 510 instead, the reviews indicate they are real nice machines and better resale value for sure.

Understandable, but HDMI is not an immediate priority for me.
I've heard a lot of good things about the M51, and it looks like it has everything I'd want.
Alas, even used, it's a bit above my budget, at the moment. :(
 
Ok, what's your priorities then, apart from cost?
Necessary features:
  • To experience a marked improvement on the DAC in my integrated amp to make upgrading worth the trouble and expense
  • Coaxial and optical inputs to take the place of those on the Bel Canto's onboard DAC
  • USB input, preferably up to 192k
  • Excellent redbook CD performance and good streaming compatiblity
  • Switchable inputs to hook up multiple digital sources
  • Low idling power if not remote controllable (won't run too hot)
If possible, includes:
  • Remote controllable via my Logitech Harmony 650 (I wanna still control it in case I misplace the remote)
  • A display or at least indicator light for input and possibly bitrate/locked
  • Balanced outputs (alongside the unbalanced RCA ones) in case I want to upgrade from my current amp
That's all I can think about, at the moment...

Also, It doesn't have to be brand spankin' new - I'm fine with used if it's in good condition and not too ancient.
 
You've just described Topping DX7s, given the stated budget. Often on Massdrop for less than $300. Or maybe SMSL-SU8. Balanced outputs command higher price, so for under 400 good options are limited.
 
Update:
I went with the SMSL SU-8 which really looked the business and got good reviews, despite the almost complete lack of controls.
But it was all for naught. Hooking it up to my system often produced a very audible hum. Applying any pressure to the top of its case made the hum grow louder and coarser. Obviously something with the onboard power supply. Plus, the remote didn't work - the second straight brand new SMSL product to have this problem, and there are no Logitech Harmony codes for SMSL. I successfully returned it to Amazon, but consider me done with SMSL because their quality control is rather dreadful.

The Topping DX7S was intriguing, especially if I was getting something for desktop use. But it's not remote controllable, which makes it much less convenient for my living room stereo. Plus, it's a touch out of my price range, even used.

Further research turned me on to the NAD D 1050, which, while not advertised as such, it's actually remote controllable. It uses Cirrus Logic's flagship DAC chip, has pretty much all the features I want (except its DSD capability has been disabled), has tons of inputs, is well made and very well reviewed. I was able to buy a factory-refurbished unit with a 1-year warranty for $250. An upgrade on its wall wart power supply is very inexpensive, too.

So far, it sounds pretty nice.
 
Back
Top Bottom