• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Estate sale Paragon, Detroit C/L

Like this...

attachment.php


The 1962 catalogue shows the S62/72/82 loads all used LE15As and 5040 horns with squarish openings, so it could have 275s or 375s as drivers and Lansally.

Still, more scratch than I have laying around loose even at half price...
 
Last edited:
i am just going by what the seller told me. personally did not care much for the guy or sale... also keep in mind they said it was a custom build, the sign above said built by nasa engineering. whatever that means...
 
i am just going by what the seller told me. personally did not care much for the guy or sale... also keep in mind they said it was a custom build, the sign above said built by nasa engineering. whatever that means...

Oh, I totally understand, i''m just posting for the folks here and our discussion.

No sense in arguing with folks who think Mantovani and Streisand LPs are worth $3/pop...:D
 
Oh, I totally understand, i''m just posting for the folks here and our discussion.

No sense in arguing with folks who think Mantovani and Streisand LPs are worth $3/pop...:D

i am not so hipe on the jbl stuff.. not sure but is lansalloy the same as like my 4312c's ??

ohh, dont forget those 2 beautiful martinez receievers
 
besides, when i talked to them on the phone they told me they had a crap load of cartridges. turned out they were referring to empty headshells, i guess that what happens when you deal with non-audio buffs
 
I haven't run into..

...to many of the dealers that I do like. Probably has a friend that will get an awesome deal on this after it doesn't sell.
I sure would like to do an exploratory on it though. :yes:
In the name of science of course. :D
 
besides, when i talked to them on the phone they told me they had a crap load of cartridges. turned out they were referring to empty headshells, i guess that what happens when you deal with non-audio buffs

I didn't see any cartridges. The headshells were all pulled from the turntables and in a glass case on the right side of the checkout area, but none had a cartridge in it.

I wonder what they wanted for those cobby looking homebrews in the floor? The one I pulled the grill off had like a 6 1/2" auto speaker with a perforated metal grill over it as the driver.....

Probably $100/pair...:lmao:
 
Hell, they could just send the email to the business address.
Unless of course, they are just posting based on the picture and don't know who the company is or haven't been to the sale....
 
Last edited:
You need to know your market. The last good Paragon at an estate auction in Missouri sold for a little over $3K, with the driver load known, with knowledgable flippers in attendance and bidding.

The last estate Metrogon in St. Louis went for a few small bills over $1K, with add-on supertweeters.

EBay prices for these collectible speakers have three levels - local collectors, national collectors, and Asian collectors. For a home made Metrogon of unknown provenance, you are looking at local collectors and around $800.
 
I remember the clarkston sale...

I dont know. I can't really think of a good reason to go after the one we are discussing. that is purely my opinion.

The 8 or 10" metal ball speakers in the basement were interesting. I also was somewhat interested in the veneer but at 10$ a sqare foot and the fact that anything other the blonde wood was just little bits and pieces, I quickly lost interest.
 
You need to know your market. The last good Paragon at an estate auction in Missouri sold for a little over $3K, with the driver load known, with knowledgable flippers in attendance and bidding.

The last estate Metrogon in St. Louis went for a few small bills over $1K, with add-on supertweeters.

EBay prices for these collectible speakers have three levels - local collectors, national collectors, and Asian collectors. For a home made Metrogon of unknown provenance, you are looking at local collectors and around $800.

I think in this case the price is mostly set by the family. No doubt there view is different than ours and the flipper's
 
I wish this estate sale companys would research pieces before the put an outrageous price on them. I mean to me this looks like a copy of a JBL metergon, how do we know its genuine? and why don't they pull the back and make a note of drivers. I mean a 5k is a lot of money for mystery box. If they really want top dollar they need to do the leg work. It looks like the priced the marantz at ebay buy it now prices that never got bought. Heres an idea add up all the sold ones with green prices divide by the sum and price it at the average price. Its like when the tell you the speakers are full working, and you pull the grille off to see all the foam rotted, how are they fully working.
 
i am not so hipe on the jbl stuff.. not sure but is lansalloy the same as like my 4312c's ??

ohh, dont forget those 2 beautiful martinez receievers

No, your 4312c's should have 2213H with cloth and doped surrounds. Lansalloy is the cream colored (yellow over time) rubberized surround that stiffens and cracks as it ages. JBL offered a warranty replacement for them for a time many many years after so anyone that took them up got a reconed driver back with foam surround.
 
Back
Top Bottom