• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Estate sale survival?

A second thing folks forget about is pricing. If it's featured, it's usually fully priced, which isn't bad if you want a keeper, but not so good if you want a quick flip. I went to a sale a few weeks ago loaded with McIntosh stuff that was featured prominently in the ad and it was all there when I arrive around 2:00 PM because it was all fully priced.

Good Luck!!

But normally it's discounted as the sale dates progress. Did you go back the 2nd or 3rd day??

Nope, because it wasn't going to be marked down.

I asked one of the guys about how it went at open with the mad rush and he said it wasn't too bad, but he also said if I wanted the stuff to buy it today as the owners told them to pull it if it didn't sell Day One.
 
Last edited:
There really isn't much point if you're looking for the bottom-dollar deal. There is if you are willing to pay 1/2 what the item is worth and it happens to still be there the last day of the sale.

Tru Dat. That's how I got my Dynaco A25s for $100. They were marked $200, which is middle to high eBay pricing, but no shipping fees.

$100 is a lot for me for speakers, but if I find another set, I can always sell this set and still make a few bucks.
 
Most Estate sales mark down their prices on the second day of the sale. Stick around, or get there prior to closing on the first day. Offer them a little more than half, see if they bite. If they say no, politely say, I'll see you tomorrow when it's 1/2 off. After all, they are trying to make maximum on every sale
 
I've been an avid garage saler and thrifter for years, and while I've never passed up an estate sale, I've never actively mined that scene, either.

Just today I got an email from a local estate sale company about a sale this week with some audio equipment and household goods I'm VERY interested in. Sales starts at 9:30 Wednesday with tickets being given out at 8:00.

Any tips on helping me secure what I'm looking for ?

The first rule.
Never post about the sale until after you've been to it.
 
The second rule.
Never post asking about a price, ie is this a good price. Post about what you purchased, BECAUSE it was a good price.

The third rule.
Recognize that AK has the highest number, and the highest percentage, of lurkers of any audio site that consistently troll looking for sales. It's the nature of the beast, but just realize that publicizing a sale is akin to Marilyn wearing this dress.

 
The first rule.
Never post about the sale until after you've been to it.

The man speaks the truth...:yes:

I'll post after the fact, especially if there's worthy stuff that I just don't care to obtain, but others may.
 
So, if you post about a sale beforehand, the president is going to have sex with you and then have you murdered?!?
:thumbsdn:

:twak: . Estate sale survival.
Please stay on topic. . :D
If you want to have sex with the president,I don't need to know.
 
Back
Top Bottom