• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EV HP940 horns & DH1A drivers

battradio

Electron trainer
Hi ,

I have a pair of EV HP 940 horns , DH1A drivers and a pair of XEQ 808 crossovers .
http://www.pa-anlagen.ch/Manuals/Electro_Voice/Equalizers/EDS/XEQ-808 EDS.pdf
http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/HP940_Horn_EDS.pdf
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/DH1A, DH1A-16.pdf

And plan to put these in boxes to sit them on top of a pair of Klipshe Cornwall cabinets and 15" woofers i just aquired .The midrange , tweeters and crossovers are gone . Would this be a good combination or would I be beter off will altec 811's horns and 806 8 ohm drivers i also have on hand and a modified model 19 crossover .Would have to build the crossover from scratch .Also have a pair of Selenium DT 220 bolt on drivers that would fit the 811's .


Any and all sugestion welcome
Got lots of options
 
Register to hide this ad
Not completely sure what you want to do here. Do you know anything about your woofers? Are they capable of reaching effectively out to 1.2~1.5K. That would be when you would want your horns to crossover close to. You might look into the Econowave thread for some design ideas-IF that is what your intent is? As for a lens I have found the QSC 10x14 lens, as used in the better Econowave design, to be an exceptional lens for most any adequate driver like you are suggesting. They are cheap enough and well doccumented!

I presume you are wanting to use the Cornwall cabs and convert the design into an effective two way? The EV horn. driver combo looks good IF equalized properly. You 800 lens is a very good lens as well & can reach out to 18K with the right driver. I am a large fan of the modified, Z-19, crossover! There is a current thread here about that network. I have used that particular network in my last three designs with great results.

Please offer more information for us so we can help get you there. In the meantime look at the Econowave & Z19 info.
DC
 
Sounds to me that with those EV drivers, horns and crossovers you're good to go. I imagine that Cornwall woofer will reach up to the 800hz crosssover point easily enough; it crosses at what, 700hz in the Cornwall? The crossovers have the EQ needed for the compression driver driver and attenuation control and the horn loads to 500hz so I see no problem.

I would think the EVs and that woofer would sound pretty damned good. Hook it up and see; shouldn't take very long.
 
Last edited:
I ran the EV HP 940 / DH1A combo with 416's in an "A7" along with other set-ups for a spell and thought they were pretty darn good even without the requisite compensation. With it, you should be very pleased I would think :yes:

The DH1A although it's not quite as smooth through the upper midrange and HF in my opinion as the Altec 288 or JBL 2441 is a dang fine 2" compression driver. Once again IMO.

RC
 
I haven't heard the 940 horns, but I have used a pair of the larger 9040 CD horns and I think they are in another league compared to any of the Altec radials. I suggest that you go pro and pick up an active crossover that can also compensate for the CD high frequency roll-off. This will also let you match your favorite amps to whatever part of the spectrum they reproduce best. Used Behringers are cheap and mostly "good enough."
 
Have thought about biamping but they need to be left in a wife friendly operating mode most of the time . The speaker will be used as the main in the audio video system most of the time changing two wires on each is a lot simpler when i connect the tube amps to them . The other use i would have for them is replacing the Fortes i have to tests amps after i repair or build them and full range is needed for that .I think passive EQ would be the way to go .

Mark
 
Back
Top Bottom