• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EV Regency Resurrection

RC3

New Member
Hi! My name is Rob and Im new to the forum. Here is my story about my EV Regency project and a few photos. Out of the dust and crust of the wood shop rise the ever lasting EV Regency cabs and 15W drivers that had been sitting for nearly 30 years. My old man took the T25 and T10 out of the cabs and paired with a couple of newer T35s, and custom bass reflex woofer cabs with 12" EV woofers (not sure which) and created a nice system I have been listening too since I was a wee lad (sansui 9500, thorens TD160). Now I am bringing back the original regency cabinets to life. I started with a 15W, X36 and a spare T35 (early version) and gathered some ebay purchases (T25a, T25a diaphragm, and X8) to finally piece together a multi-generational regency 3 way system. I hooked up the cabinet mounted potentiometer to the mid to dial in the balance between the three drivers. I think this thing is sounding really good. Step 2 is to try my hand at replacing a T25a diaphragm and T35 diaphragm myself including gluing the diaphragms into the old drivers to complete the second cab and have the same generation of components for each speaker and crossover respectively.

Here's a problem: I can't find a source for T25a diaphragms other than the rare ebay item which I recently got lucky to find one already installed in the cap that worked well. I asked Crites if they have a source for these and they said they do not. Does anyone know anything about the diaphragm model number and if another diaphragm would work with the T25a?? I gotta believe there is something out there that will work. How are people in the world fixing these? Or are they?

Overall we will have 4 Regency-esque 3 way speakers. Im plotting to try a quadraphonic setup with these or at least 4 speakers on two channels in stereo. Im a huge fan of the way these define the midrange. Rock music, especially guitar, just tears out of these speakers effortlessly and the way they fill the room makes you feel like you're sitting front row at a rock concert. The newer T35's have more "air" but the older ones still sound pretty good. These speakers have truly shaped the way I understand music and Im really grateful to be able to put back together this old pair of Regency cabs to finally have my own set.

I'll post some pics of the project and the older main system ive been listening too for years. Looking forward to chatting with anyone else that appreciates these.



Cheers!

75037019856__8CF28508-E436-4E1C-B6AF-417C20321A68.JPG

75141808566__9672575F-28E8-45E5-977E-F59B43F9BBAB.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
My 2c is (1) do no harm & (2) talk to Speaker Workshop in Fort Wayne. Otherwise, maybe move it along and find something from the 1823/4 1828R family for the 8HD's, depending on what impedances you need...and/or make new filter networks. Could maybe flip the woofer 180 and let gravity work on it the other direction for the next 70 years, too.
 
Update: I was able to fix the T25a. The voice coil was open circuit, so I was able to track down where it was broken. It was broken where the larger wire from the terminal connected to the voice coil. After some careful scraping of insulation I was able to solder it back together. My god what a tiny wire! After my 12th attempt it finally took the solder. I am really pleased this worked and I won't have to buy a new diaphragm or try to align a new one.

Next I need to replace the diaphragm in the T35 I have that is definitely cooked beyond repair but I have more guidance from youtube on how to do that one.

I will checkout Speaker Workshop, thanks for the recommendation, grindstone. I was debating flipping the woofers but after debating with my father we decided it was not capable of sagging. Is that something that is good measure or you think it's a necessity? I havn't done much reading on it. And most of the harm was done 50 years ago to this pair of speakers. Im hopefully undoing some of it.
 
Also, looking to buy 1 more 8HD fiberglass horn, if anyone has one around gathering dust.
 
You are definitely living right. Might pick-up a lottery ticket today if you think of it. Also interested to hear what Speaker Workshop said if you're comfortable discussing it.
 
Hey Grindstone, haha yes I know Im wondering where my good luck came from as well. I will report back how they sound. They are a slightly new version I think than the ones I am refurbishing. The baffling for the folded horn is not the same, looks like a shorter path. I'll upload some pics of both for comparison. Im curious what years the different versions of these cabinets and speakers came out because ive seen 3 cabinet types at least and about 4 different looking speaker nameplates in my research.

I didnt end up reaching out to Speaker Workshop after I managed to "fix" the voice coil myself... but it looked like they had quite an operation going from looking at their website.
 
Love your success with the EVs. As for the efficacy of rotating woofers I can tell you they made a pair I had serviceable after a voice could rub developed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RC3
Check this out - got klipsch heresy II’s (really KP-201s) on the top with electrovoice regency on the bottom. Had a B&W sub too from my brother which really made it sound fantastic. The Electrovoice have really nice high end so it was well rounded. Very snappy but also fat sound. Worked well across many genre's including modern pop music. The high end of the regency became a little much at high volumes but I think alot of that had to do with the mix of the program meterial. These speakers really seem to make well mixed music sound incredible but poorly mixed music, sounds not as great. Speakers of truth. The T35 tweeter on the right speaker was carrying all of the high end. It outperforms the klipsch and the other EV tweeter (T35B) in the left speaker. (I only had time to fit the new T35 before the wedding, my other one needs a voice coil replacement). The air and snappyness of horns and snares is really like nothing I have heard before. The horns slap you. Synths of modern music sound really good too. The B&W sub made all the partygoers able to get down to some modern pop and club music. Amp is a Adcom pre and power amp (GFA-454II). Used my discrete audio interface as a DAC. The whole thing was inspiring. I was happy to help my friend at her party.
IMG_8583.jpeg
 
Love your success with the EVs. As for the efficacy of rotating woofers I can tell you they made a pair I had serviceable after a voice could rub developed.
Thanks Bicyclist, thats really interesting to hear. That's always been a hypothesis I wondered about. Probably depends on what the cone is made out of and design whether it sags a lot or not. I havn't heard anything with the woofers on these, havn't rotated. They did sound a little scratchy upon first sound after 30 years but I figured they were just getting the dust out haha.
 
Thanks Bicyclist, thats really interesting to hear. That's always been a hypothesis I wondered about. Probably depends on what the cone is made out of and design whether it sags a lot or not. I havn't heard anything with the woofers on these, havn't rotated. They did sound a little scratchy upon first sound after 30 years but I figured they were just getting the dust out haha.
My particular pair were not EVs but it did save the day in some leak sandwiches.
 
Also, looking to buy 1 more 8HD fiberglass horn, if anyone has one around gathering dust.
I didn’t know there were fiberglass 8HD horns. I thought they were all aluminum. Interesting.

It will probably be easier to find another aluminum one.

Cool speakers :thumbsup:
 
I didn’t know there were fiberglass 8HD horns. I thought they were all aluminum. Interesting.

It will probably be easier to find another aluminum one.

Cool speakers :thumbsup:
I actually found one on ebay with a driver attached. They show up from time to time. Bought it, and now I have a spare midrange driver! People say the fiberglass is a little less metallic sounding. I also just like the look! And thank you!!
 
That’s great you found one. I’m guessing they were aluminum during most of the production run and then switched to fiberglass towards the end.
 
That’s great you found one. I’m guessing they were aluminum during most of the production run and then switched to fiberglass towards the end.
I was thinking it was the other way around but I have no proof other than the drivers I have seen with fiberglass horns have the older logos.
 
You’re right. Fiberglass was first. Check out this ad. It mentions the 8HD is made of a new material. “Fibreglas” lol
Page 6

Thats a great piece of reading! Just a reminder of how old these really are... "fiberglas" being a new material.... hard to imagine. I've been surprised how much educational material is published about the design of vintage EV speakers. They seemed to be marketed toward enthusiasts and DIYers back then.
 
Back in the 1950s when cool new things were being made from fiberglass. Like Corvette bodies.

I think it’s pretty neat that back in the day the big manufacturers would sell you complete speakers, or just the drivers if you wanted to build your own. And they even gave you cabinet plans.
 
Back
Top Bottom