• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ever buy a turntable just for the cartridge?

I bought a Pioneer pl570 just to get the Denon dl103R off of it. Didn't even bring the table home, brought it straight to the UPS store , boxed it up and shipped it to a friend who had been looking for a 570.
 
Saw a yard sale on Craigslist and dropped by. The guy had a Dual 1242 with a $20 sticker on it. Talked him down to $15 and bought the 1242 because it had a V15 III on it. Threw it in the backseat and drove over to the record shop. Pulled off the cartridge and sold the table for $25. Ordered a JICO SAS for $140 and never looked back. Still my favorite cart and my best deal.
 
A friend offered me his dad's old Dual CS-627Q, which I didn't exactly need, and didn't like the look of, and it sounds kind of "plasticky". But it had an AT120E with a very good condition nude stylus on it. So I didn't buy it, but I probably would have not taken it if it didn't have the cartridge on it.
 
There was a similar cartridge, a Pickering XLZ-7500S with original packaging and stylus that was on ebay forever for $749. I just checked "completed auctions" and it appears that someone actually bought it at that price back in August

The seller who sold that also sold another one for $50.00 or so less than that price. Both were in original cases and were supposedly NOS and never played. The shrink wrap was also still on the cartridges. He actually sold me one of my XLZ's for about $300.00 with a new stylus which I had checked and polished.

As for buying a table for the cartridge, I recently did it with a Dual 1019 that had a Stanton 881S MKII. The stylus looked mint, so I got it for $125.00 with the intent on taking the cartridge and then flipping the table. Long story short, the table also wound up staying as the seller "misinformed" potential buyers on the unit and if I sent it back,would lose the cartridge and stylus. So I kept the table, put it into a custom plinth, changed the RCA cables, fully cleaned and redid it, bought a new multi play spindle, and put one of the 2 XLZ's I have on it.

881 stylus.jpg 1019 1.jpg 1019 2.jpg 1019 3.jpg 1019 4.jpg old 1019 pic.jpg
 
once - I've bought TT on Ebay, I don't even remember what it was, for the Pickering XSV4000 with a D5000 which was on it.
It was much undervalue for the cart itself.

Asked the seller to dissemble it, mail me the cartridge and keep the TT. We both were VERY happy with the deal :)
 
For sure. Picked up my Denon DL300 MC cartridge buying a Denon turntable. The turntable was defective but usable as a manual. I gave it to a friend and kept the cartridge/SUT that came with it.
 
once - I've bought TT on Ebay, I don't even remember what it was, for the Pickering XSV4000 with a D5000 which was on it.
It was much undervalue for the cart itself.

Asked the seller to dissemble it, mail me the cartridge and keep the TT. We both were VERY happy with the deal :)


I did the same myself twice. thought it would too much of a hassle to resell the table.
 
I've bought tables that ended up with some nice cartridges. Needed a better table years ago and picked up a TD-160 from consignment, table arm cartridge and phono pre preamp for the LOMC. Then I wanted a KD-600 and found one. Came with a nice cartridge, still using both cartridges. Kinda the opposite of what you are asking but what the heck I needed to boost my post count.
 
I was at an estate sale looking at a dual cs 608 tt with a shure v15 IV cart for $40.00. I hesitated and the guy threw an aiwa 3head cassette deck and a technics receiver. I took that deal really only wanted the cart.It turns out it had the vn45 micro ridge stylus. very happy
 
I picked up an AR XA off CL for $50 which only needed a belt and a tune up. I didn't recognize the cartridge but it turned out to be an Osawa OS 300MP. Upon inspection the stylus looks perfect!
Sold the table, plan to sell the cartridge soon.
 
Yes. A lot of the time the value is in the cartridge.

(A point frequently ignored by sellers offering tables without cartridges.)
 
I myself snagged a Denon DP-45f that was a little banged up on the corners and the vinyl was wrinkling in a few places but it was fully functional. However the Signet TK7Ea is what I was after. Put a cheap Pickering cart on the table and turned around and sold it to someone that really like that model. I just think they are one of the ugliest Denons made.
 
I once bought an idler-drive Dual at an estate sale when I saw "MA" under the headshell. Micro Acoustics! Ten bucks, but the unobtanium stylus was bent - I didn't notice until I got it home.
 
Bought a $7 POS plastic pioneer something-or-other that had a Nagaoka MP-30 on it. Stylus played although it was in need of some WD-40 love, and is probably a little worn. But, the high-end Nag body is great! Might end up with an MP-500 stylus for it soon.

But, it has yet to displace my main squeeze, which is a Grado F1+ that one showed up on a minty $12 Technics SL-23. It mysteriously crapped out in one channel for a while, but after a homebrew retip job, seems to be working perfectly at the moment. I'll enjoy it while I can. Still have the TT, too.
 
I've bought a few.
One was a JVC QL50 with a beautiful AT mcoil (not sure of the number)
For $120 but it was also connected to an SME 3009 ll.
Bought several with Shure V15 lll on them and a Thorens TD 318 with a Garrott moving coil.
Most of the turntables have moved on.
Kept the JVC and the TD 318
 
Back
Top Bottom