• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Exactly Why Vinyl Isn't The Future of Audiophilia

The other thing people rarely talk about is the lack of availability of many LPs and cassettes in current formats.

Case in point: I have the soundtrack to "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." It has some nice Vince Guaraldi tracks as well as some songs by Rod McKuen. Due to confusion on rights, it will most likely never be released on CD or even some future format. It's just one example. If I want to listen to that, I have to play the Vinyl.

I've heard estimates that 70% of all music recorded before 1965 is not commercially available in any format. *source* This is 11 years since iTunes launched, 13 since Napster came about. Digital hasn't really brought many titles out of print. For those of us who want certain recordings, we have to stick with Vinyl and even cassette in some cases.

The basis of my post on the previous page......How can you listen to it on another media, if it is not available on that other media?

Vinyl will be around for awhile....
 
The basis of my post on the previous page......How can you listen to it on another media, if it is not available on that other media?

Vinyl will be around for awhile....

Indeed, which is why I think the two go hand in hand. If I need files for modern convenience, I can rip them and put them on a portable, in the car or send them to a Squeezebox. It's the best of both worlds.
 
Vinyl's sales are as much attributable to Baby Boomers getting access to their retirement accounts for the first time as any other factor. It is true that you can find hipster kids in major cities in America sifting through bins of records at places like...
I strongly disagree with what the reviewer is saying as far as what type of people are purchasing vinyl. I don't believe it's right to just generalize like that.

I'm young and I enjoy vinyl. I've also seen other young people at various record stores who enjoy it as well. I'm not what society likes to label a "hipster." I don't listen to it because it's cool, or "retro." Although there is some nostalgic value for people who had used it as a primary listening format years ago. For me it's not nostalgic, as I only recently (as much as maybe 2-3 years or so) have gotten into vinyl.

I enjoy it purely for the sound. I enjoy CDs too, but whether it's the signal-to-noise ratio or whatever, I've personally found vinyl to sound a lot better in most cases. One of the reasons for this (as somebody mentioned) is probably because most new remasters on CD are overly compressed and brickwalled. Even though the dynamic range may be higher, you're not getting the same dynamics in certain cases. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine it was harder, if not impossible to limit the dynamics that much when vinyl was more popular.
 
Last edited:
Case in point: I have the soundtrack to "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." It has some nice Vince Guaraldi tracks as well as some songs by Rod McKuen. Due to confusion on rights, it will most likely never be released on CD or even some future format. It's just one example. If I want to listen to that, I have to play the Vinyl.

It's on ITunes, $6.99.
 
While there is a lot of *potential* in the digital realm, with res Rez files, and DRC for speakers, it doesn't look like there is enough interest out there for it to become mainstream as yet. The limited number of hi-Rez titles, and high prices for the ones that do exist, are going to hold a lot of folks back from embracing the technology.

To me, High quality DRC, turnkey music servers, hi-Rez files, and music recordings on 5.1 format should have all become part of today's hi-fi. Seems it isn't happening unless you are willing to do a lot of cobbling stuff together yourself.

I agree with the premise that vinyl is a dead end, though. I'm sure that by the time I die my collection will be essentially worthless, and I'm cool with that; I had fun collecting and listening to it.
 
Sometimes I feel like the only [audio enthusiast] person in the world that really doesn't give a crap about what source/format is "the future of audiophilia", or any such thing.

I feel that way too sometimes, but articles like this catch my attention because, IMO, some people are prematurely announcing the deaths of physical media in the audiophile world.

The author seems to assume, as do many others in the hi-fi press, that digital file playback is the way of the future for audio, period. While this is true for the majority of people, I think he's jumping the gun in assuming that the niche audiophile community will unquestionably follow suit en masse just because there are some challenges involved in proper vinyl playback. His list of problems with vinyl makes me wonder if the guy has appreciable experience with a decent turntable setup at all. Vinyl is a medium that can yield absolutely outstanding sound despite the inherent "critical issues" he describes, and he doesn't seem to really get that, even considering his brief enumeration of things that are enjoyable about records.

The other thing people rarely talk about is the lack of availability of many LPs and cassettes in current formats.

Ok, but that definitely goes both ways. As one example, if you're at all interested in classical music/composers outside the standards of Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, etc., CD is the best option. There is so much incredible material in that genre by both new and old composers that is not, and in all likelihood never will be, released on vinyl.

In any case, I think the author of this article is wrong about vinyl. Perhaps in another two or three decades the audiophile with a turntable setup and vinyl collection will be a rare thing (I doubt it), but for now there at just far too many records and concomitant playback equipment out there for people to drop it all and embrace digital file playback as the one and only way to go.
 
.....but for now there at just far too many records and concomitant playback equipment out there for people to drop it all and embrace digital file playback as the one and only way to go.

And there in lies the root of the problem for the digital continent to take over and conquer the analog world
 
Ok, but that definitely goes both ways. As one example, if you're at all interested in classical music/composers outside the standards of Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, etc., CD is the best option. There is so much incredible material in that genre by both new and old composers that is not, and in all likelihood never will be, released on vinyl.

Umm...have you ever seen the vast and diverse array of classical music that was released on LP between the end of WWII and 1990 or so?
 
Umm...have you ever seen the vast and diverse array of classical music that was released on LP between the end of WWII and 1990 or so?

Yes, but have you seen the vast and diverse array of lesser-known classical music released on CD in the last thirty years? For an example, go to Amazon and search "cpo" in the music department (it's a label if you haven't heard of it). Tell me how much material by many of those composers you can find on vinyl - and I'm not talking about the few major composers whose work they do also record, like Telemann, Spohr, and even a lot of J.S. Bach. What you won't find are 500 different versions of Beethoven's 9th.
 
My 18 year old son loves vinyl and buys it second hand.


I buy more vinyl than CD these days , but I like it not just because I have been listening to it on the same turntable for decades so like the way that sounds, but also as a piece of art.

There is nothing like a gatefold sleeve and a nice heavyweight coloured vinyl.

As to arguments over 44.1, 48, 96hz

I dont buy that the majority of people can really tell the difference.
I also dont see the point in paying for something I dont actually physically own.

Yes, most vinyl comes with a download code so you can stick it on your computer or mp3 player, but you "own" the record.

music files be they compressed or uncompressed dont have the same emotional appeal, at least for me.

Some of the younger generation of muzo`s are discovering the beauty of the vinyl album.
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I didn't find Jerry Del Colliano to be much of an audiophile by what he says, much less a qualified sociologist but, worse yet, I unfortunately kind of agree with his entertainment industry business case logic. I'm not saying he's a genius or anything but, the point that we (audiophiles) are in the dreaded position of being the electronic entertainment 1%ers seems obvious to me. For all the right reasons IMHO we pursue but nevertheless, the other ninety-nine percent (if not more) of the buying consumer public, while merrily headed in numerous other directions with their buying power, haven't a clue about what would be gained by having music of high resolution in their lives and could not care less. Too bad.

As a side bar: just out of curiosity, I would love to see what this guy calls a Hifi and turntable.

Happy Listening my stone age brethren! :beatnik:
 
My 18 year old son loves vinyl and buys it second hand.


I buy more vinyl than CD these days , but I like it not just because I have been listening to it on the same turntable for decades so like the way that sounds, but also as a piece of art.

There is nothing like a gatefold sleeve and a nice heavyweight coloured vinyl.

As to arguments over 44.1, 48, 96hz

I dont buy that the majority of people can really tell the difference.
I also dont see the point in paying for something I dont actually physically own.

Yes, most vinyl comes with a download code so you can stick it on your computer or mp3 player, but you "own" the record.

music files be they compressed or uncompressed dont have the same emotional appeal, at least for me.

Some of the younger generation of muzo`s are discovering the beauty of the vinyl album.

Yeah, that seems to be the best solution.

Flac downloads and a vinyl option; Win-Win for everyone.
 
Yes, but have you seen the vast and diverse array of lesser-known classical music released on CD in the last thirty years? For an example, go to Amazon and search "cpo" in the music department (it's a label if you haven't heard of it). Tell me how much material by many of those composers you can find on vinyl - and I'm not talking about the few major composers whose work they do also record, like Telemann, Spohr, and even a lot of J.S. Bach. What you won't find are 500 different versions of Beethoven's 9th.

There was plenty of lesser-known but still meritorious classical music released in the LP era that has never made it to CD. When I wanted a recording of Paul Creston's Two Choric Dances, I searched the Web and bought a used LP from a rare-book dealer in New York. At this late date there is no CD recording available of that work. I could give other examples, but I'd rather use this fact as a justification for owning both LP and CD playback equipment.
 
I dont buy that the majority of people can really tell the difference.
I also dont see the point in paying for something I dont actually physically own.

Come on man, it's in the clouds! :D

As a side bar: just out of curiosity, I would love to see what this guy calls a Hifi and turntable.

I had a similar thought.

...but I'd rather use this fact as a justification for owning both LP and CD playback equipment.

It's one of many as far as I'm concerned.
 
Listening to Signify by Porcupine Tree over the last two days, an album that I am very familiar with on CD shows up the differences in mastering.

SW is a superb producer who doesnt tend to master CD`s for loudness, but even with that, the remaster for vinyl is simply stunning.

I`m hearing stuff that I never heard before on the CD.

If companies are going to release vinyl and expect us to shell out for it they need to understand that those of us who love it, expect original recordings intended for the digital world to be remastered properly for vinyl.

My eldest son bought me Tangerine Dream Alpha Centuari on vinyl for xmas.
It is also a faithfull mastering job.
 
I'd say it is a scary thought if vinyl is the future. Can we really do no better in the 21st century than this archaic equipment?
 
Back
Top Bottom