• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Excessive woofer travel when playing vinyl

Used a level and it is dead on. I placed the platter on a flat level surface and it is slightly warped; about 2mm. I think I may invest in a different turntable and quit chasing a ghost. So Dual 1019 or 1219?

If a classic vintage turntable is what you desire, you might consider a Thorens TD-160,165 or 166. I've had very good results with the 165, having bought one brand new back when, another in the mid 80's and the last one about three years ago. Much easier to mod or work on than the Duals, and performance very good stock. Simple and elegant design. Easy to find good ones online.

My (rather distannt) second choice in affordable vintage 'tables would be a Technics or CEC-produced DD (or similar), if you want something that you don't have to tweak much - more like plug-n-play.
 
Last edited:
Hi dstroyr,,

This could very well be a shot in the dark. but let me tell you about a problem
that I have run into with turntables a few times in my servicing career.. ( That
is if you can call it a ''career')..
The barrings in the turntable were dry and needed t be greased.. This was causing the tt platter itself to vibrate, thereby causing a 'rumbling sound' in the speakers.. Because the 'rumbling sound' is such a low frequency, the woofers will be the most responsive to it.. And yes, if this is the case and the platter is vibrating, it could be shaking the cartridge,and causing the noise..
 
Hi dstroyr,,

This could very well be a shot in the dark. but let me tell you about a problem
that I have run into with turntables a few times in my servicing career.. ( That
is if you can call it a ''career')..
The barrings in the turntable were dry and needed t be greased.. This was causing the tt platter itself to vibrate, thereby causing a 'rumbling sound' in the speakers.. Because the 'rumbling sound' is such a low frequency, the woofers will be the most responsive to it.. And yes, if this is the case and the platter is vibrating, it could be shaking the cartridge,and causing the noise..

Very good point and easily overlooked because who doesn't relube spindle well bearings when they buy a used 'table? The basics can kill ya.
 
Very good point and easily overlooked because who doesn't relube spindle well bearings when they buy a used 'table? The basics can kill ya.
You are absolutely right,musichal.. We had a saying back then.."It's always the simple things that throw ya'... I remember the 1st time I ran into that problem... It like to drove me up a wall !! And the kick of it is,that the turntable didn't make any kind of physical noise. It was a problem that could only be heard through the speakers, which led you to suspect all kinds of terrible things...
That sounds like a really nice turntable that dstroyr has, and I really hope that it's repairable..
 
Last edited:
I lubed the bearing, which is basically a shaft and bushing, and unfortunately it did not work. I believe that the platter is slightly out of round or unbalanced. It can be seen on the video. (link posted earlier). I have contacted a dynamic balancing company to see if they could balance it, but have not heard back. I may check ebay for a replacement platter, as other parts are available there for this model.
 
Rumble

I had a nice Philips AF877 back in the day. Nice aluminum platter. Maybe you can find an AF677 or AF877 that's for parts only. The platter may work if the spindle is same OD. The AF777 was full auto and there are some various little plastic do-dads that help tell the auto function if it's an LP or a 45. I wouldn't use that one.

I just bought a GA212 on Craigslist. Beautiful cosmetically, but the auto lift shut off doesn't work. The platter is nice and level. I'll post later if there are any rumble issues. Anyone know how to fix that function?
 
Update: Ok I am still dealing with this problem. I bought a Dual 1229 with an Audio Technica at12xe cartridge and had it refurbished by Bill at Fix My Dual. Hook it up today and I am having the same issues. I am running KLH 5 and 17 on A and B channels. If i use the low filter the problem isn't as bad but the is about as much bass as a cell phone speaker. If I do not use loudness it is a little less movement but not much. The video posted is with the loudness on, volume at about 4 and a mint condition Led Zep disc. The turntable is setting on a 1/2 inch thick tile and 2 inch thick foam insulation. http://youtu.be/tSvHwPkvD4k
 
Honestly...I don't know much about your speakers, but looking at those meters on your 8080 popping, I'd say you may very well have an acoustic feedback problem, as you seem to be playing the music VERY loud ;)

Note that where you have the volume control set doesn't mean much. It's how many SPL's you are producing, and is the volume enough to where the bass waves are actually causing unwanted turntable vibrations.
 
Ok after messing around with a bag of kitty litter trying dampen the TT I engaged th low filter and the loudness. It cured the symptom. Lacks a little bass but the woofers are behaving. Is it time for a recap? Keep in mind that I got it at a thrift store for $45 and all I've done to it is spray a can of Doxit on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom