• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Experiences with the Lepy LP2020A?

stoleowncar

New Member
Hi, bit of a lurker because I browse thrift stores for speakers and come here often, but now new member asking for some advice.
Anywho:

I want to gift my friend a cheap (~30$ budget pretty much) speaker amp and give him one of my older speakers that I got from the thrift store (decent speakers mind you) as part of a gift exchange that we've decided upon with another person or two. Last January, I got a Lepai LP-2020A+ amp for that price, and it's been working great even with its bundled PSU. Now I wanted to get the same thing for him, but come to find out that Lepai is gone. There's a company called Lepy selling 2020A amps, but 2020A (note missing + sign) chips are rebranded Yamaha ICs that aren't actually the hallmark Tripath chips that Lepai used to sell for so little money. They're just normal Class D amps. At least that's what I've read.

Does anyone here have the 2020A and the original 2020A+ to compare? Technically I could do it, but I don't want to open the gift, and I might choose to return it anyway...

And actually on that subject, is there even another option in this price range that's any better? I'm giving him a choice of mostly older 8 ohm speakers such as the Pinnacle AC400 or the Design Acoustics PS55. Definitely not forking over any of my DCM CX's.
 
Register to hide this ad
There's an extensive thread on the Lepai and other digital amps of various types and sorts. Get a case of beer - its one of the longer threads here at AK but well worth the time if you _really_ want to know the answer to the question you've asked.

Big Long Thread is here.

Cheers,

David
 
Back
Top Bottom