• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Experiencing a bit too warmth

hpm-1000

Member
hello,

I just got a new pair of mirage om-7 speakers- they are great, detailed, laid back and have a general dark warm sound...

I think its a bit too much with my electrocompaniet aw100 and my ming da mc-7R tube pre...

The sound gets a bit too dark in a way... I have allways heard my ming da was a bit on the romantic side but i wonder if with other tubes on it perhaps the sound would lightened up a bit...

I am looking for more detailed , less dark and romantic sound... so what tubes to look for?

thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
Raytheon (USA) would be a cheaper alternative to a Telefunken or a Valvo tube.
Probably not quite equal in sound to either one though?

Steve
 
Raytheon (USA) would be a cheaper alternative to a Telefunken or a Valvo tube.
Probably not quite equal in sound to either one though?

Steve

Yep, or even some RCA blackplates. They seem very well balanced throughout the entire audio spectrum. What tube numbers are you dealing with?
 
I'm with Frannie here. Though, I'd expand the RCA suggestion to include clear-tops. They can be really "fast" sounding... sometimes bordering on "lean" in some circuits. They have less midbass "bloom" than Mullards.

Sylvanias can also be good "Telefunken substitutes", IME. They seem to have similar sonic attributes in a good number of ways, that could be applicable here...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Did you try to connect source (CD player?) directly to power amp? If it will solve your problem with excessive "warmth", then you can try to play with swapping tubes in preamp etc. But if it won't, than something else is wrong.
 
I have now two 12ax7 tung sol and two 12au7 jj tesla.

all of my components are quite warm sounding so i think it will be better with some tubes that are not so romantic...

I ll try to find some telefunken or valvo.
 
Hiya,

I'm with Frannie here. Though, I'd expand the RCA suggestion to include clear-tops. They can be really "fast" sounding... sometimes bordering on "lean" in some circuits. They have less midbass "bloom" than Mullards.

Its gotta be that Avatar Jay uses. Well I am flattered some how but I am a slight bit more modest than that. Maybe panty hose and a longer skirt when I am adjusting aerials.

Frannie
 
I have now two 12ax7 tung sol and two 12au7 jj tesla.

all of my components are quite warm sounding so i think it will be better with some tubes that are not so romantic...

I ll try to find some telefunken or valvo.

Valvos can be Mullards, so look for etched codes or you could be adding warmth.
 
I have now two 12ax7 tung sol and two 12au7 jj tesla.

all of my components are quite warm sounding so i think it will be better with some tubes that are not so romantic...

I ll try to find some telefunken or valvo.

I don't want to confuse the issue but I've used both the Tung-Sols and the JJs. I found the Tungs to be anything but warm but did find the JJs to be somewhat warm. YMMV of course. I've also had Mirage speakers albeit they were the OM9 and IMO I really wouldn't have thought them to be a good mate with tubes. That said, my money would be with the Cleartops or Sylvies as already suggested. Good luck!

...r1
 
you're not swapping 12AX7's for 12AU7's or vise-versa are you? They are not direct replacements, though they are pin compatible. Switching those types up can cause some different tonal effects in a circuit.
 
Back
Top Bottom