• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Explosive Damage to Cerwin-Vega DX-9 woofers

:bs:

tenor.gif
 
I agree, this just seems a bit strange. Why is the foam on the left crumbling yet the foam on the right looks much newer? If one had already been replaced, then surely there is a story behind that? Only time I've seen such a discrepancy with foam wear is when one speaker is in direct sunlight (such as right next to a window) most of the time, as the sun really takes it's toll. In this case though, it really seems more like the foam has been replaced as the inner lip of the new foam is much larger as I've seen in several cases on newer foams. The picture on the left does look like what you might expect if the woofer was played with a crumbled foam, but the picture on the right just doesn't really add up. Having personally re-foamed several 15" cerwin-vegas in the past, I can say that those cones are pretty darn thick. I have a hard time believing that the cone would tear apart like that before the voice coil simply burned up or similar. It does look more like the cone sustained external physical damage of some sort.

I think someone has been watching too much Back To The Future:
 
Opinions have definitely changed in 13 years. lol

"I once used a compound that's meant for bonding plastic and steel, that worked like a charm" - LOL !!!

"One trick I found was using foam like the foam in your couch. I just wedged pieces around the speaker and it kept it centered. Works much better then duct tape" - DOUBLE LOL !!!
 
I used to have a pair and I powered them with quite a bit more power than the OP, fused them with fast blow 5 amp fuses. In all the time I had them I blew those 5 ampers many times, and no damage ever occurred nor did I bottom out out those CV woofers, which I still don't quite understand. Durable speakers those D9's.
 
upload_2019-7-12_22-21-13.gif
Let's be honest. The OP's story doesn't match the pictures. The spider seems to be in tact on both of these, and as everyone else pointed out it looks like a bad case of foam rot on one, and a boot through the other. Curious how there's no response from the OP, I think we're all being punked.
Maybe the reptile aliens did it? Haha
 
HOLY CATASTROPHIC DESTRUCTION BATMAN!
I've been a quasi-audiophile my whole Rock n Roll life. But in ALL of my years, I have NEVER seen this! I was rocking out last night when all of a sudden I hear a drop in bass and this buzzing sound. Now I just had my classic 1977 Sansui 9090DB restored to better than factory specs a year ago by a top-notch Sansui restoration firm out of Eugene, Oregon, so it can't be that. So I pull the covers on my Cerwin-Vega DX-9's and could not believe what I was looking at! BOTH woofers exploded outward! Even one of the voice coils was blown out of the spider! It couldn't have been caused by the Sansui since both speakers are 2 amp fused at the network crossovers. The midrange and tweeters are fine. Only both 15" woofers have sustained massive destruction. There are only 2 things I can think of that could cause this.
1. I occasionally run my Stratocaster directly into the mic jack since It sounds better than my guitar amp and I've got so much equipment hooked up to the rear Sansui inputs that I don't have room for anymore components. But I haven't plugged my Strat into that mic jack for months!
Or 2. I recently hooked up a new Amazon Echo Dot to the AUX jack in the back of my Sansui so I don't have to get off of my lazy ass to flip an LP or change a CD. But neither of those 2 possibilities could be the cause since the CV crossovers are fused for that exact purpose, and they're not blown.
Any of you audiophiles out there have any thoughts on what would cause this level of explosive destruction? Because I am completely baffled.
Thanks much!


CykoticView attachment 1559445View attachment 1559446View attachment 1559447


How about posting a picture of the missing pieces of cone?
Must be laying on the floor, in the grille, or in the cabinet, should be easy enough to find and photograph since it just happened "last night".*

*which is now a few days ago, but still...
 
The OP is probably unable to return, both grief stricken and traumatized as a result of cone fragments being propelled through the grill, striking and killing the beloved family pet.

The power of those rebuilt Sansui units needs to be handled with a great deal of respect and care or an otherwise enjoyable session of casual listening can become a serious tragedy.

Be careful where you point that Zerostat! ;)
 
E2229E19-AEB5-4B49-AF98-9F820993E23C.jpeg Time to buy replacement woofers maybe get PA ones if your going to put serious power into them .
This should cheer you up America’s got talent!!
Maybe invest in some subwoofer instead of killing your speakers because they don’t have enough bass.
 
Back
Top Bottom