• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

faint clicks on cd's ?

shadowlord

Active Member
hi all!

since building my jukebox pc which enabled me to shuffle trough my whole cd collection, i started to hear occasional clicks, mostly on some lesser played tracks.

after investigating it proved that the clicks are on the cd's (tried it with another system, still the same clicks)

for example
on Deep Purples live in Stuttgart 1993, Black Night the click is at aproxx. 1:25

or Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Rosalie at 2:55

on Uriah Heep's Easy Livin' The Singles A's & B's, High Priestess on 0:25 to 1:00 i can hear 3 clicks

now growing up with records, i'm somewhat used to cracks ans clicks but i thought cd's shouldn't have any ??

or has my cd players laser burnt the media :yikes: (is this possible at all)

the cds don't have any visible damages, 2 of them where only played 3 or 4 times. storage temp is about 18 to 27 °C

anyone experienced this to ?
 
Register to hide this ad
That's the laser beam hitting a piece of dust and... no, just kidding.

In recording, when an analog signal exceeds the 0 db level is "clipped", resulting in some 3rd harmonic distortion. When a digital signal exceeds 0 db, it makes clicking sounds.
 
Ir it could be slight scratches.....I got that in my CD of Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits. Not usually noticible, but just in the background.
 
That's just your laser beam escaping through the edges of the CD and bouncing all over the place in the CD player enclosure.

You need to get those rubber rings (these come in different color) that you put on the edge of the cd. These trap the laser light inside the CD, which improves tracking and the sonic quality of the music.

The red ones make the music much more detailed, but the blue ones improve the sound stage tremendously. I understand that there is a company out there trying to manufacture a multi colored rings that would improve the overall sound quality.

Anyway, switch to vinyl. It also has the occasional pop, but the sound quality is far superior without any need for the rings on the edge
 
I bought Bruce Hornsby - Spirit Trail, used on e-bay. Sixth song on first disc did what you described. So I buy another used one on Amazon. I'll be damned if it didn't do the same thing in the exact same spot. I think some cd's are not up to quality standards.
 
"I think some cd's are not up to quality standards."

I think some players may have this issue as I recently got rid of a Sony 5 Disc player that did this with certain CDs. It did it ALOT more than my current setup. Was it a bad player, could have been but what you are all describing is EXACTLY what was happening with this player. Just a thought.
 
the cd's are store bought here in austria or amazon germany,

i tried it with my main cdp (like new), the jukebox pc and a sony discman all 3 played the clicks.

i own some records aswell and if they click or so it doesn't disturb me, but on the cd's it annoys me.
 
paul c seems to be right !

ripped rosalie with EAC again and opened it with a wave editor

rosalie.JPG


the click seems to be in the recorded signal :yikes::yikes:
 
I've run into this with some recordings on CD. Hitting the ceiling in the digital domain is nasty business. Analogue systems overload much more gracefully.
 
Back
Top Bottom