• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Faint white noise comes from speakers with amplifier off

integrated

New Member
Wondering if anyone else has run into this and knows why/how sound could be coming from the speakers with the amplifier and preamplifier off.

Gear is:
Emotiva BasX PT-100 preamp
Hafler 9505 amp
Klipsch RP-600M speakers
 
Register to hide this ad
Have you unplugged one of the units at a time in testing?

Also are the units grounds tied together commonly?
 
will be the power draining .. it should stop after a while.
try it with music playing and just turn the amp off .
 
The preamp only has two prongs so I would say they don't share a common ground although they are plugged into the same surge protector. When the preamp is unplugged the noise goes away. If I leave all of the gear plugged in the noise does go away after a while. If I play music with the amp off no music comes from the speakers.
 
Its possible that after listening and powering down, you could be hearing white noise as the capacitors are discharging.
 
Capacitors discharging, or noise generating transistors when the B+ is being removed. Noisy crossover caps? With the amp on but with the volume turned off disconnect the speaker and see if there is any noise if not then its the amp or of you have a separate pre amp turn it off with the amp left on. If there is no noise its the amp if there is its the pre-amp. IF the speaker doesn't make noise when disconnected its the integrated amp.
 
To be clear.

After a period of time after you power off, still hear the sound coming from the speakers?

Or is it right when powering off it is heard then after is gone?

If so then is the equipment doing it discharging and adding a power center like a Adcom ace 515 or turning of the amps first and reverse when power on.
 
After a period of time after you power off, still hear the sound coming from the speakers?

The sounds comes out of the speakers for minutes after the amp and preamp have been powered off.

I'll look into getting a power conditioner to see if that helps. I have a UPS but from what I've read they aren't good for audio equipment.
 
If there is no speaker protection relay, it's the main filter caps slowly discharging. Something has to be providing the power, eh? One of the nice things about speaker relays is that you don't hear the caps running down.

The bigger the main caps are the longer it will take idle current to discharge them.
 
The sounds comes out of the speakers for minutes after the amp and preamp have been powered off.

I'll look into getting a power conditioner to see if that helps. I have a UPS but from what I've read they aren't good for audio equipment.
Don't need any type of power conditioner. It is just the power supply filter capacitors draining. All equipment does this and is normal but I suspect with yours, you don't have a protection relay that normally cuts off the speakers when powering down.

If it bothers you that much, from now on when you turn it off, just turn off your speakers first, then turn on your speakers last when powering up. Won't hurt a thing.
 
Back
Top Bottom