• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fairchild 412

Shawnnnn

Well-Known Member
Picked up a Fairchild 412 today from the original owner. Came with a really cool 202 tonearm.

First question I have is how do I remove the platter? It’s really hard to turn. If I keep working it around and around will it eventually loosen up and come off? or does it have a fastener that holds it on?

2nd question might be harder to answer since the 202 tonearm seems to be pretty rare. You can have 3 different cartridges at the same time by spinning it around. It currently only has an xp3 cartridge which also seems pretty scarce. The wiring has been pulled out of the tonearm so im trying to figure how it’s supposed to be wired without the wires getting wrapped around the shaft that holds all the carts as you turn it.

Any maintenance tips to getting it running again are also appreciated. IMG_7001.jpegIMG_7002.jpegIMG_7004.jpegIMG_7005.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Here are some pages from the SM. It looks like the spindle can be lifted for 45rpm and maybe lifted off.
1789965445890.png1789965353637.png
1789966025971.png

Here is what AI says about how the three cartridges are switched.
1789966857837.png
1789966895431.png
1789966933254.png
 
Last edited:
I’ve never seen that arm before.

The platter just lifts off. The old oil in there is gunked up and needs to be cleaned out and replaced. When it’s properly lubricated the fit is tight enough to make a decent air seal that will cause the shaft to settle back into the well slowly, and create a vacuum when you try to pull it up. Just get your fingers or some sort of non-marring implements like pieces of wood under the platter and slowly lift it straight up.

The built in 45 adapter isn’t very useful unless you have a 412-2 or 412-4, or the modern solid-state equivalent of the 412-4. The oil on that shaft will have turned to glue after almost 70 years. Get the foam mat off of there (it will likely turn into gunk when you try to do so), clean the remains off with solvent), then try to use a heat gun on the 45 adapter to soften the old oil so you can pull it up. It has a ball detent on the shaft to hold it in the proper position for 45 playback, but it will pull straight out from there. You may need some hard plastic prying tools to lift it. Thoroughly clean off the old oil and lubricate with something new. The 45 adapter has nothing to do with the platter bearing.
 
Thank you both for the info.

Yeah it’s just a single speed so I won’t be playing any 45’s on it.

The foam is pretty gross. It’s all dented and deformed from stuff sitting on it for who knows how long.

Any opinions on where to get belts for it? I wonder if the original belt that goes around the platter is still usable since it’s not rubber.
 
Wow!! What a setup.

That arm is a dream arm of mine and I've been looking for one of those transformers for 10 years. I for one hope you load this thing up with two more fairchild cartridges !


Thanks for sharing : )
 
Just realized that I’m missing a very important part of the tonearm and why I couldn’t understand how it works. I circled and pointed to the missing part. I messaged the original owner hoping they have it.

IMG_7011.jpeg
 
Can you take a picture of the rest of that grey cable?

I would use some disposable plastic cards from junk mail or stiff cardstock to scrape as much of the foam mat off as you can. Then clean off the residue with something like Goo Gone.
 
Foam is off. Came off easily when I was trying to use the heat gun on the 45 adapter. Still stuck but I’ll keep working on it. Transformer has an rca plug at the end.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7015.jpeg
    IMG_7015.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 16
No other cables around to connect to that one?

I’m not surprised about the 45 adapter. Try running some lighter fluid or similar solvent around the edges of it so it gets under the adapter and to the shaft.
 
Back
Top Bottom