• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fans of Audio Research Corporation?

MisterDK

Addicted Member
Hey folks, I’m in the mood for a nice preamp and wondering about older ARC models. Anyone here have favorites of some of their models? Do any really stand out above others or are most all of them good?
Any models to avoid?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have not owned any Audio Research equipment but at the CES show their room had the best sound. I don't think you can go wrong with anything they make.
 
There is lots to read on the web about ARC products. I have only had experience with a LS15. It's currently in my system now.
Early ARC preamps had more of a tube sound while later units have more of a clean (SS) sound. My pre uses 4 6922 tubes and sounds fantastic to me. The later ones use 6H30 tubes.
Stay away from the early SS preamps that ARC made, from what I have read they were not there best effort. Aside from that see if you can audition the model your interested in. I don't think ARC ever made a bad tube preamp, some are just better than others.
ARC has a good reputation for a reason, they earned it.

BillWojo
 
Whats your budget, and do you need a phono input? Do you need balanced inputs or outputs? Those will pretty much be your major deciding factors on Audio Research.
That said my favorite is the LS-22. It has balanced and RCA inputs and outputs. It has a good phono stage. It's super quiet, detailed without being sterile, and just has a warm inviting sound. Honestly one of the best preamps I have used. Ever.
I've used a LS-7 for years and was happy with it (for the money). No phono, and RCA's only, but for the price, hard to beat. Super quiet, dependable, and like all ARC, built like a tank.
Definitely avoid anything solid state.
 
The nearly complete discussion of AR Corp preamps on AK: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...rch-preamps-what-are-your-experiences.852892/ and the linked ARC preamp discussion.

Got any questions? Seems they get cleaner, clearer and at times more musical as they get newer.

I don't think any but the earlier tube units like the SP-3 will play a monochrome record and produce a full technicolor image through the speakers. All that bloom was toned down in follow-up products.

Audio asylum has a lot of discussion about them, too.
 
Last edited:
LS22 does not have a Phono Preamp, just inputs for a external phono stage The LS models are line stages, and the SP models are preamps with phono stages built in. If you need a phono stage. The SP9MkIII or SP14 are good choices with out breaking the bank.

Lots of info found here: http://www.arcdb.ws

Regards,
Jim
 
Stay away from the solid state stuff. IMO, some of their very early units looked (to me) like they were fabricated in somebody's garage. Pretty on the outside, but obvious mistakes in the chassis work on the inside. Built like a tank in terms of heavy sheet metal, but the PCBs can be susceptible to heat and vibration.
 
Wow - looks like I have plenty of reading to do. Thanks for all the replies!

I’m OK with either a line stage or one with phono pre built in, but was really thinking about something like SP-8 or SP-10 vintage - one with a built in phono.
Not sure that my wallet will step up to most of the newer ARC products so something “vintage” should suit me well.
 
I'm pretty sure that Audio Research used ceiling fans and table fans. Much like the rest of us.
 
I just recently purchased my third (yes, I have 3) SP-6. As you can probably tell--I like them :)

One big thing to watch for with ARC gear are the various "iterations" within a given model. IIRC, there are 4 different iterations of the SP-6--Mark I, II, III, IV. Certain iterations within a given model run are more desireable than others for various reasons.
 
I just recently purchased my third (yes, I have 3) SP-6. As you can probably tell--I like them :)

One big thing to watch for with ARC gear are the various "iterations" within a given model. IIRC, there are 4 different iterations of the SP-6--Mark I, II, III, IV. Certain iterations within a given model run are more desireable than others for various reasons.
I thought there were 5 or so iterations that were lettered and then a couple of those had suffix numbers similar to the SP-3, SP-3A, SP-3A-1, then the later version the SP-3B and the rebuilt by Audio Research early versions called the SP-3C. I think there are way more than 4 versions of the SP-6, enough to keep me confused.
 
I thought there were 5 or so iterations that were lettered and then a couple of those had suffix numbers similar to the SP-3, SP-3A, SP-3A-1,
Correct. I believe the correct answer is nine. Click here for the evolution:

After hearing two SP-6Bs, I decided to purchase one in the fall of 1981. By that time, it has progressed to the C model. Shortly after, there was a problem with one of the coupling caps and was factory updated under warranty to a C-1. Worked fine until I replaced it with a used SP-9MKII in 1998.
 
That said my favorite is the LS-22... It has a good phono stage.
As Jim indicated "LS" stands for "line stage". Those with phono stages have a "SP" prefix. I sure love my SP20 mated with a DAC8. :)

RenduPanel.jpg
 
D-76A here, owned since 1977, other than output tubes, and a 10k 7watt resistor and the center mounted 6550 output tubes screen regulator that blew(popped like a incandescent work light under a car) from my thoughtless friend who, without thinking, placed his dripping from condensation plastic drinking glass on top of the amp`s perforated cage while it was being used in his recording studio`s control room for the monitors !
Of course, I was not present at the time..
He never did it again !!
Still sounds great, but puts out a but load of unwelcome heat, and is part of my stable of "fireplace inserted tube amps"(Hey it`s a Florida thing!) that I rotate when I want to hear to sound of a tubes driving my sunroom`s DQ-10`s .

I also own a ARC EC-2 2 way tube crossover(unused) that a friend offered and sold me inexpensively, close to 20 years ago, when he was strapped for money.
Good gear, IMHO/E.
 
Wow - looks like I have plenty of reading to do. Thanks for all the replies!

I’m OK with either a line stage or one with phono pre built in, but was really thinking about something like SP-8 or SP-10 vintage - one with a built in phono.
Not sure that my wallet will step up to most of the newer ARC products so something “vintage” should suit me well.

Well a vintage SP10 or SP11 will cost a lot more than a SP9 MkIII or a SP14. Great units but 2 chassis units that command big $$$
Regards,
Jim
 
Gave this a little fix.
With my large PC based monitor, I see just a slightly smaller image.

Since I take pics with an iPhone, I struggle with rotation. When I link from my webspace, it might look fine using a computer, but not a phone/pad. Or vice versa.
 
With my large PC based monitor, I see just a slightly smaller image.

Since I take pics with an iPhone, I struggle with rotation. When I link from my webspace, it might look fine using a computer, but not a phone/pad. Or vice versa.

I very much so get it. Sometimes phone orientation effects the view, especially if the app is closed before the rotation corrects.
The image will be smaller from the importation of the file into the basic photo editing software included on iOS. That’s all I did to correct the rotation.

That’s nice looking Audio Research gear too.
 
Back
Top Bottom