• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fastrac horns in La Scalas?

crouse

Poorly known member
I've had my La Scalas for sale for a while now and no takers. My issue with them is harshness in the upper mids/lower treble. A common complaint, I know. Has anyone tried fastrac horns in La Scalas and, if so, did it have a noticeable effect on harshness/listening fatigue? If I can't sell them, I need to do something. BTW, they have Crites A/4500 crossovers and CT125 tweeters. I run them with a restored Marantz 2230.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Agree with harsh horns. I found without drastic equalization to pull the horns back they could be over bearing. What worked for me was new PRV Audio D290 drivers then bored the horn throat to match that alone took the harshness away. Finally added a couple BFM Table Tuba's and electronically crossed the stack letting the LaScalla's do what they do best "breast compressions"
 
Mdross, if you are fully active, are you aware of the PEQ that Roy (Delgado at Klipsch) put into the JubeScala?

It's -7 db @ 148Hz, Q=8

My understanding is it's supposed to tame or calm the sides from resonating.

If you haven't already, you might try it. Obviously, if you don't like it, you can delete it. (I realize your comment about crossing electronically to the TT's doesn't mean that you are fully active)
 
I haven't heard them. Others have said nice things about them. I WILL say that you might look into the Klipsch K510 (or 402 if you don't mind huge)

One reason I'm such a cheerleader for the K510/402 is first, I've heard them (and own them) Second, they have been 100% engineered in the chamber by Roy at Klipsch so you know you are getting it right the first time around. (no disrespect meant to Dave or Greg or anyone else who makes some aftermarket goodies.... I just lean strongly to keeping it Klipsch if/when possible)

If you go any aftermarket, I'd urge you to opt for the 2" throated version if it's a choice. (the 510 and 402 are 2" throats) The step up in sound quality is not insignificant.
 
Our Klipsch do not have crossovers, that chore is done with Heathkit AD-1702 electronic crossover. Keeping in mind the sound has to please the person trying to reproduce it.
 
The fastracs look a lot like what Craig at NOSvalves has in his LaScalas.

Not sure if they are fastracs but I have heard Craig's speakers several times at AKfests over the years and consistently liked them - particularly their balance and lack of nasty mid-range bite. I'm not a LaScala fan but if I had a pair, a wood tractrix would be on my wish list.
 
I've got the fastrac horns in mine,thet really opened up the sound,created more space and greater detail.Then I added a pair of Dean G's x-overs ( Aletheia Audio), the super AA model.They allow you to attenuate the mid-horn,& use quality caps & components.The difference is amazing.Smooth,detailed,non fatiguing.
 
Back
Top Bottom