arcorob
Addicted Member
Hello,
I purchased one of these for my daughter recently on barter town from Stereo couple. She needed a nice integrated, small, for a dorm room. I wanted to get her something unique. Well, that words barely scratches the surface.
The Fatman Audio products are very cool. The one I purchased is HERE minus the IPOD dock.
When it arrived I was impressed with how solid and compact the unit was. Easy to hookup, it has jacks for two inputs and a ball switch in the front to select which.
Inserted the tubes, hooked to the speakers (they have 5 way binding posts) and used my Surface tablet for input. The unit came with a 3.5 to two RCA cable.
So powered on and gave a listen. Wow. First, no hum, no hiss, dead quiet at an idle. I played a variety of music and was amazed at the clarity and full range of sound. Clean highs, forward mids and SURPRISE, nice bass. The reason I say surprise is the unit does not have tone controls. I fully expected it to be very lean in the bass. It wasn't. Would I like a tad more ? Yes, but truly, that is just personal taste. The whole sonic range was balanced.
The separation, soundstage and depth were very nice - so much so I was just floored at what this little 3 tube amp could do.
I want to note that I was not driving a small pair of bookshelf speakers. This amp was seamlessly driving my Polk Monitor 70's (90db sensitivity) and driving them well.
I didn't pay full price for this as it was used - in fact, it was about 1/4 of original price..but if I was buying for myself, it would be well worth the cost in comparison to other similar priced amps...and If I did not already have a full compliment of amps, my daughter would be receiving something else ! LOL
I purchased one of these for my daughter recently on barter town from Stereo couple. She needed a nice integrated, small, for a dorm room. I wanted to get her something unique. Well, that words barely scratches the surface.
The Fatman Audio products are very cool. The one I purchased is HERE minus the IPOD dock.
When it arrived I was impressed with how solid and compact the unit was. Easy to hookup, it has jacks for two inputs and a ball switch in the front to select which.
Inserted the tubes, hooked to the speakers (they have 5 way binding posts) and used my Surface tablet for input. The unit came with a 3.5 to two RCA cable.
So powered on and gave a listen. Wow. First, no hum, no hiss, dead quiet at an idle. I played a variety of music and was amazed at the clarity and full range of sound. Clean highs, forward mids and SURPRISE, nice bass. The reason I say surprise is the unit does not have tone controls. I fully expected it to be very lean in the bass. It wasn't. Would I like a tad more ? Yes, but truly, that is just personal taste. The whole sonic range was balanced.
The separation, soundstage and depth were very nice - so much so I was just floored at what this little 3 tube amp could do.
I want to note that I was not driving a small pair of bookshelf speakers. This amp was seamlessly driving my Polk Monitor 70's (90db sensitivity) and driving them well.
I didn't pay full price for this as it was used - in fact, it was about 1/4 of original price..but if I was buying for myself, it would be well worth the cost in comparison to other similar priced amps...and If I did not already have a full compliment of amps, my daughter would be receiving something else ! LOL