• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite A/V Receiver "Mode" For 2-Channel Music

jdmccall

Super Member
What is your preferred listening mode for listening to stereo music through a multi-channel home theater receiver or pre/pro? I've been really enjoying the virtual surround mode on my Marantz NR1602. It really open ups and broadens the sound stage, even wrapping it around to the sides, depending on the particular recording, of course. I sometimes use the DPL-IIx or DTS NEO-6, especially with electronic music but on more natural mixes or acoustic-based music, the virtual surround mode is preferred because it keeps most everything up front. DTS and Dolby modes often will place images in the rear of the room, which can sound unnatural to me.

I know many people prefer straight-up stereo for music, even on multi-channel systems. I use Bose 901's in my 2-channel rig, so I'm used to a big, wide soundstage. When listening to stereo music on the HT everything sounded miniaturized, but the virtual surround mode really restores a lot of life and size to the sound for me. Maybe it's a bit room-dependent. My HT room is pretty dead sounding and has been very difficult to get the speakers to disappear in. The virtual and surround modes really help, though.
 
Register to hide this ad
My music listening to an AV receiver is pretty much restricted to my bedroom via a Yamaha RSX-V377. Even though I have a surround setup (phantom center) I prefer music in "straight" two channel mode.

I suppose I could play a CD via a DVD player through my Emotiva UMC-200. However, I'm so satisfied with my two channel playback I've never even tried. I do use the 5.1 channel analog inputs on my processor from my SACD player to play surround mastered SACD's.

The only thing I'm interested in is playing back music in the mode it was mastered for. I have no desire to second guess the mastering engineer or be an editor.
 
On my Yamaha A/V receiver I used to use "5 channel stereo" for music, then I used "Straight" Both sounded okay, but I pretty much gave up on music through the HT system's digital processing and listen to music on my vintage gear now.
 
I much prefer to listen to 2-channel music with my dedicated 2-channel system, too. But it's in our family room (which is a great sounding room!) and since we've got three kids still at home (!) I don't get to use that system much. I could crank it whenever I wanted, I suppose, but I TRY to be considerate. And unfortunately, my eldest son seldom shows such consideration, so he's blasting movies and video games from his bedroom a lot, door wide open. :sigh: So, I find myself holed-up in the HT room a lot. It's never been a good sounding room for stereo, but the virtual surround and DPL and DTS music modes are real lifesavers in there.
 
On my Yamaha A/V receiver I used to use "5 channel stereo" for music, then I used "Straight" Both sounded okay, but I pretty much gave up on music through the HT system's digital processing and listen to music on my vintage gear now.

I really like the multi-channel stereo modes for some music but only after I turn the back channels down considerably. Disco sounds good with'em all blazing away, though! :banana:
 
They dropped the ball when they did away with the capability for external equalization. I only use mine to tap into the optical output of my TV. Then out it goes through a literal analog hole in the front panel to a typical JVC with SEA then finally to speakers. Right now we're working through the Beatles Anthology VHS set and it sounds great.

edit: Oops, mode? I mess around with the effects but don't go too nuts with the delay stuff.
 
Last edited:
My listening room has a fireplace so holiday time is nice down there, all channel stereo is nice to fill a room full of people with music. Other than that its 2 channel or music surround for concert DVD.
 
I have two AVR's, a Yamaha and a Pioneer, and they are both set on "stereo" all of the time. I do not care for surround sound, even though I have enough speakers to do it. Both of those system are used to play music and video, and both sound great to me. Peace and goodwill.
 
When I was using an Anthem AVM 20, I the AnthemLogic(?) mode was OK for music expansion.

As a related side note, there are adjustable parameters for many of the matrix modes that allow you to change differents aspects of the mode. Check those Owner's Manuals for details.
 
I have a hybrid HT/Music system that uses an integrated amp with HT Bypass, so the AVR is "off" for 2-channel sources (TT and CD/SACD).

Now before folks get wound up - I do listen to music channels thru the AVR - so that is set to 5.1/PL II Music. And this is a saved setting where I have pulled down the center level quite a bit as the auto level is way too high for music.
 
On my Onkyo TX-NR737, I usually just use "direct" mode for listening to music, unless I'm streaming then I'll use stereo to compensate for the iffy quality.
 
For 2-channel, I like the Marantz "Direct" mode, and for acoustic music "Pure Direct".

My system is actually 3.1 and if I want them all to be playing music, I often use Neo:6 Music.

Since I actually have a center channel, I'm not sure I've given "Virtual" much of a chance. I may have to play with it more.
 
Multi Channel surround on my Marantz AVR. The DSP modes (PLII or DTS) don't tickle my fancy for music. For TV or other video they are great though.

I do have very good center (and surround) units though (compared to the left/right ones) IMO.
 
I played around with various modes when HT receivers first arrrived, but for music went back to 2 channel. The matrix and digitallly enhanced modes sounded unnatural IMHO. Perhaps, with properly recorded and steered channels one day it will sound right.
 
I played around with various modes when HT receivers first arrrived, but for music went back to 2 channel. The matrix and digitallly enhanced modes sounded unnatural IMHO. Perhaps, with properly recorded and steered channels one day it will sound right.

BTW, I used to fancy that ADS digital delay unit and a pair of BW DM7s way back when.
 
I played around with various modes when HT receivers first arrrived, but for music went back to 2 channel. The matrix and digitallly enhanced modes sounded unnatural IMHO. Perhaps, with properly recorded and steered channels one day it will sound right.

BTW, I used to fancy that ADS digital delay unit and a pair of BW DM7s way back when.

Yes, much the same here with my Yamaha, play most in stereo in "Effect Off" mode. Although I have a couple of Blu-Ray and DVD's Cds which have 5.1 mastering which sound incredible.
 
B&K Reference 30 in "stereo 2"


Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.
 
The worst problem with using the surround modes for stereo is that everytime I play around with them, I come to different conclusions. The results I get seem to vary a lot depending on the recording, so it's hard to draw a solid, general conclusion. Some times I prefer DPL-IIx, sometimes DTS Neo-6 and then sometimes I like "virtual" or multi-channel stereo...and then I get tired of dorkin' around with all of them and just set the receiver to auto, which defaults to stereo for 2-channel sources. It's all good though. A/V receivers are fun, as is surround sound, but at the end of the day my heart belongs to straight up 2-channel stereo through a good 2-channel system. After all, how much compelling music has been recorded and released in more than 2-channels? ...Pretty short list, I'd say.
 
After all, how much compelling music has been recorded and released in more than 2-channels? ...Pretty short list, I'd say.

Well, on audio only media maybe not, but decent music DVDs or BlyRays (concerts but also video clips) remastered to 5.1 can have good added value and there are plenty of those.
 
Point conceded. There's lot's of good music and concert video in surround sound. And that is where it works best, IMO, in an A/V format. It's nice having hall ambience all around you. But still, for music only recordings, I like for the performers to stay up front, just like they do in the real world (at least, 99% of the time).
 
Back
Top Bottom