• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite cold weather recipes

www.records

Quality over Quantity
I am looking for some of your favorite (and preferably easy) recipes for cold winter eating. I was flipping channels this morning and watched the Pioneer Woman put together Mexican Chicken Soup in a crockpot and it looked and sounded good. I googled it and it popped up the recipe for reference.

So, what ya got for must eats on cold winter days?
 
Register to hide this ad
Goulash and Red Beans & Rice are a couple of good choices, along with beef stew, beef bourguignon, and pork/green chile stew.
 
I made a batch of beef stew yesterday, and my other half made a pot of chicken tortellini soup. Pasta dishes are usually a thing here in the winter also, but with my cutting back on heavy food, I'm probably not going to make lasagna for another year. Stir fry is another thing I do in cooler months, and there is a primavera recipe I like which I make occasionally...only because it is so much work to cut up all of those vegetables.

I BBQ year-round, and we had burgers and sausages Friday night. :D
 
Sheperds Pie--you can do it any way you like it--chicken (lighter), or beef/lamb--cook/season the protein how you like. Make like a standard pot-pie base--gravy, vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, peas or even okra or asparagus), then make a batch of mashed potatoes--put pot pie mix in casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes and bake until golden brown on top--with lamb, I recommend rosemary in the gravy.
 
Chili, ribollita, cassoulet, chicken corn chowder, gumbo, steak and Guiness pie, shrimp and grits.

Pretty much any supper served in a bowl.
 
The goulash recipe from the old Luchow's German restaurant in NYC, with some nice red cabbage and spaetzle. Yum!
 
Pretty much anything in a crock pot ... leave it on low and grab a small bowl after wandering in from the cold. Chilis, stews, soups, beans and ham, long as it's HOT!

Cheated tonite and slapped together a quickie minestrone using Bear Creek's instant soup. Pan fried some burger and sage sausage and dumped that in for texture. Hit the spot after doing battle with several inches of fresh "widow maker" snow ...

Killer soups if you haven't tried them. Their navy bean is right tasty too!

http://www.bearcreekcountrykitchens.com/soups.php
 
We make a big pot of turkey soup after Thanksgiving and freeze a couple of containers. We just pick up a fresh loaf of Italian bread and that will keep you warmed up. I agree with the crock pot. We have two and use them all winter. My wife just made boneless pork chops with a cream sauce and it came out great.
 
Thai lemongrass soup. You have to find lemongrass but a lot of groceries have it now, or an Asian grocery if you have one.

There are others, look up 'asian noodle bowl' and see what you find.
 
5a41c3367068f982c56873c79e25bac921c4300e6f169ba9170a380ffa1a8222.jpg
 
A big fat pork roast with the fat on it all crunchy just ready to make gravy from the drippings....mashed potatoes, mac'n cheese, chef salad and buttermilk biscuits. Then Miller High-Life to make it all more enjoyable....
 
Back
Top Bottom