• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite era of pieces shown

Lamar

Speakeasy
Given the pieces within the eras shown, which era would you say is your favorite?

60's Late
Sansui 3000A '68
Sansui 3300 '69
McIntosh 1700 '68

70's Early
Sansui AU 777A '70
Sansui 210 '72
Sansui Seven X 2 '74
Sansui Eight Deluxe '74

70's Mid
Sansui AU-11000 '76
Sansui 881 '75
Harman Kardon 730 '76

70's Late
Sansui 9090db '77
McIntosh MA-6200 '79
Sansui 331 '77
Realistic SA1500 '78
 
Register to hide this ad
Normally I would say mid to late 70's.
In this case to meet your choices I'll say late 70's.
I'm into the stereo wars era of gear and I feel the late 70's would be when the technology and power levels of that era reached their peak.
 
Having owned some of the pieces listed from all your categories (all are gone now) I'd have to agree with Gchief and pauldrewey. Experience tells me you're doing yourself a big disservice stopping at the late 70's.
If I had to pick just one from what's listed it would be the Mac 6200 simply because I never owned one.
 
I have pieces from the late 60's thru every decade till 2024. I keep the older pieces, because they are still doing their job and have been rebuilt and there is nothing available today that will do what they do today or replacement would be terribly expensive. Why should I replace a $ 499.00 50 watt pe channel Mcintosh amp that would cost me over $4000 today. Same goes for the Maximum performance indicator or the three tuners I have from the 70's and 80's. One of my Thorens turntables is the first TD 125 shipped to Texas and still runs like new. Belts are becoming an issue. So maybe I will buy a new SL-1200 G this year to replace it. Everything else works like new so why replace it. Are their favorites. Right now I would say I am enamored with my new Dynavector XX-2 mk II I bought last year. I also have come to love my XRT-28 line arrays I bought 3.5 years ago being powered by the newest MC 830 mono Mcintosh direct coupled mono power amps. I also like my VOI 17 record cleaner I bought back around 2008. The new MB 25 blue tooth adapter is a much better performer than my previous MB 20. Like the new MQ 112 too that I use as a program EQ. The ancient MQ 107 I use to voice my stero speakers is performing its job very well, too.IMG_4038.jpegIMG_5049 2.jpegIMG_5996.jpgmb25-front-top.jpeg
 
I have pieces from the late 60's thru every decade till 2024. I keep the older pieces, because they are still doing their job and have been rebuilt and there is nothing available today that will do what they do today or replacement would be terribly expensive. Why should I replace a $ 499.00 50 watt pe channel Mcintosh amp that would cost me over $4000 today. Same goes for the Maximum performance indicator or the three tuners I have from the 70's and 80's. One of my Thorens turntables is the first TD 125 shipped to Texas and still runs like new. Belts are becoming an issue. So maybe I will buy a new SL-1200 G this year to replace it. Everything else works like new so why replace it. Are their favorites. Right now I would say I am enamored with my new Dynavector XX-2 mk II I bought last year. I also have come to love my XRT-28 line arrays I bought 3.5 years ago being powered by the newest MC 830 mono Mcintosh direct coupled mono power amps. I also like my VOI 17 record cleaner I bought back around 2008. The new MB 25 blue tooth adapter is a much better performer than my previous MB 20. Like the new MQ 112 too that I use as a program EQ. The ancient MQ 107 I use to voice my stero speakers is performing its job very well, too.View attachment 3414517View attachment 3414518View attachment 3414519View attachment 3414520
I did not know belts were an issue. Beautiful equipment visage.....if you are ever near Cedar Creek Lake, swing by....
 
Not having Luxman in a looks contest just ain't right.
Sanford12, accept my apologies for producing such a confusing thread.
This is what I said
"Given the pieces within the eras shown, which era would you say is your favorite?

60's Late
Sansui 3000A '68
Sansui 3300 '69
McIntosh 1700 '68

70's Early
Sansui AU 777A '70
Sansui 210 '72
Sansui Seven X 2 '74
Sansui Eight Deluxe '74

70's Mid
Sansui AU-11000 '76
Sansui 881 '75
Harman Kardon 730 '76

70's Late
Sansui 9090db '77
McIntosh MA-6200 '79
Sansui 331 '77
Realistic SA1500 '78"
Luxman R1120A

However this is what I intended to get across:

I have either owned or still own each of these pieces and I thought it would be great to enlist the aide of AK sages to see what you guys thought may be your favorite "era" so to speak, solely based on the choices listed, solely based on sonics....the 80s and beyond, with all due respect, were of no consequence for the question involved...thank you for the Luxman reference and I added my R-1120A as part of the late 70's
 
Sanford12, accept my apologies for producing such a confusing thread.
This is what I said
"Given the pieces within the eras shown, which era would you say is your favorite?

60's Late
Sansui 3000A '68
Sansui 3300 '69
McIntosh 1700 '68

70's Early
Sansui AU 777A '70
Sansui 210 '72
Sansui Seven X 2 '74
Sansui Eight Deluxe '74

70's Mid
Sansui AU-11000 '76
Sansui 881 '75
Harman Kardon 730 '76

70's Late
Sansui 9090db '77
McIntosh MA-6200 '79
Sansui 331 '77
Realistic SA1500 '78"
Luxman R1120A

However this is what I intended to get across:

I have either owned or still own each of these pieces and I thought it would be great to enlist the aide of AK sages to see what you guys thought may be your favorite "era" so to speak, solely based on the choices listed, solely based on sonics....the 80s and beyond, with all due respect, were of no consequence for the question involved...thank you for the Luxman reference and I added my R-1120A as part of the late 70's
You forgot the 2020s ;)
 
While I haven't listened to all those units..

My loose preferences.... Mostly because those seem to be the best bang for the buck to me on the 2nd hand market.

Tube stuff and receivers: Mid/Late 60s or New
Turntables: Mid 70s/Early 80s
Tape Decks: Early/Mid 80s
Preamps: Late 80s
Amps: Early 90s
CD Players: Early 2000s
Speakers: 2010+ or 80s
DACs: Now
Streamers: Now
Crossovers: Now
 
While I haven't listened to all those units..

My loose preferences.... Mostly because those seem to be the best bang for the buck to me on the 2nd hand market.

Tube stuff and receivers: Mid/Late 60s or New
Turntables: Mid 70s/Early 80s
Tape Decks: Early/Mid 80s
Preamps: Late 80s
Amps: Early 90s
CD Players: Early 2000s
Speakers: 2010+ or 80s
DACs: Now
Streamers: Now
Crossovers: Now
Interesting!
 
Sanford12, accept my apologies for producing such a confusing thread.
This is what I said
"Given the pieces within the eras shown, which era would you say is your favorite?

60's Late
Sansui 3000A '68
Sansui 3300 '69
McIntosh 1700 '68

70's Early
Sansui AU 777A '70
Sansui 210 '72
Sansui Seven X 2 '74
Sansui Eight Deluxe '74

70's Mid
Sansui AU-11000 '76
Sansui 881 '75
Harman Kardon 730 '76

70's Late
Sansui 9090db '77
McIntosh MA-6200 '79
Sansui 331 '77
Realistic SA1500 '78"
Luxman R1120A

However this is what I intended to get across:

I have either owned or still own each of these pieces and I thought it would be great to enlist the aide of AK sages to see what you guys thought may be your favorite "era" so to speak, solely based on the choices listed, solely based on sonics....the 80s and beyond, with all due respect, were of no consequence for the question involved...thank you for the Luxman reference and I added my R-1120A as part of the late 70's

Guys, I'm not trying to nit pic here, but, Lamar has asked a very specific question based solely on the equipment he has listed. He has now gone and defined his reason for asking, he owns all of the equipment listed and would like his fellow Audiophile's opinions on those pieces of equipment only. So, could we please oblige him by sticking to the answer(s) he seeks, VS going off on the tangent of including every piece of audio gear ever made, and will ever be made in the future?

Like I said, not scolding, not tryin to be a stick in the mud here, I'd just like to see Lamar's question answered by those in the know regarding the specific pieces he owns :thumbsup:
 
Like I said, not scolding, not tryin to be a stick in the mud here, I'd just like to see Lamar's question answered by those in the know regarding the specific pieces he owns
If that's the case, I'd pick his late 70's stuff. Hope that's the reassurance that the OP is looking for.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom