• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite music for system/speaker evaluation?

John Klemmer-Arabesque (the version on Straight From The Heart-Nautilus)

Back when I spun vinyl my Nautilus direct-to-disc of this Klemmer was the most dynamic record I owned - or ever heard. I opined this once before and saw a follow-up post by someone who denied the existence of the direct-to-disc recording, claiming it came from tape. If you read the album notes, the original recording was done straight to disc necessitating a virtually flawless performance of one whole album side at a time (no going back and fixing anything). I do admit, however, that I'm no expert at the production process after that point.
 
Like their music or not (I do BTW) you can't deny that Steely Dan recordings usually sound superb. That's why so many use them for system/speaker evaluation.

I think you guys are getting this backwards.

While the music, in terms of arrangement, performance and sheer degree of difficulty, is unparallelled in 70s rock/pop, most of the recordings blew.

Gary Katz (rest his soul) and Roger Nichols were early pioneers in the use of "compressed" recording technology (I believe they employed the Kepex processor) who, for reasons that have yet to become apparent, felt that the Dan's work would be enhanced by lopping off all the highs and lows.

It's great music, but I cry to think how much better it would have sounded had it been recorded/mastered differently.

On the plus side, because of all that compression it sounds pretty good through my tinny computer speakers ...
 
Last edited:
I think you guys are getting this backwards.

While the music, in terms of arrangement, performance and sheer degree of difficulty, is unparallelled in 70s rock/pop, most of the recordings blew.

Gary Katz (rest his soul) was an early pioneer in the use of "compressed" recording technology who, for reasons that have yet to become apparent, felt that the Dan's work would be enhanced by lopping off all the highs and lows.

It's great music, but I cry to think how much better it would have sounded had it been recorded differently.

On the plus side, because of all that compression it sounds pretty good through my tinny computer speakers ...

You know what, as much as I have, and still do like Steely Dan, now that you mention it, the recordings aren't that great. They do sound like they were designed to sound good on shitty stereos. I just played several songs, and the highs are not there, nor is the deepest bass.

Thanks, you just ruined them for me.:nono:

Seriously though, you're right. Their music sounds like what you'd hear with a full range speaker. Limited highs and lows.
 
Last edited:
I had a client that complained that I hadn't compressed her master recording enough!?! That I had made it sound too dynamic! That it couldn't be played on her Bose Wave Radio, or boombox. They couldn't handle the bass? So, I had to re-eq and recompress the whole project, just so it would sound good on a boombox! What's the point of that? :no::tears::thumbsdn:
 
none. I use my stereo to listen to music not use music to listen to my stereo

Good answer but don't you regret never having upgraded from the system you had in high school? Or at least never having used recorded music with which you are familiar as part of that process?
 
none. I use my stereo to listen to music not use music to listen to my stereo

And I think it's a great thread, actually. We are here talking about gear specs, these brands/models, FETs or Tubes, vintage or modern, etc for 99% of the time when great songs and albums are there to evaluate, sometimes push to the limits what we have as amplifiers and speakers. So I use music to listen to my stereo as well. :music:

Another album to evaluate my stereo:

1299159974_7d8c09fc-db26-4bca-8ffe-7a293899bd5d.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'd say Aja, Gaucho and The Nightfly were the peak of this. But that's just me.

It's not just you. Anyone who calls that stuff compressed aught to give some post '80s U2 a listen some time. Either that, or listen on a decent system.

:runs from flames:
 
I use Aja because it is so familiar to me. I also spin Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms. I then spin Miles Davis- Kind of Blue to evaluate horns. Then I spin some Chopin to evaluate piano, then a full blown Beethoven symphony. After this, I pretty well know if something is working for me.

What I have a problem with is deciding if something is better or just different. It takes me a while to adjust to a different presentation.
When evaluating with a TT that Dire Straits is one I like. I have a few piano recordings that get put to use. One recording or the other of recording of Vaughn Williams 6th symphony is a frequent one for both LP and CD. What a range of sound and massive dynamic contrast! Another I like for this is the Vitenam Oratorio. I have a recording of some a capella choral works that I use that has antiphonal choirs in a huge church acoustic, one foreground, one deeply recessed. Most systems fail this test and do not let me hear the entire dimensions of the space. Round this out with old Holly Cole CDs and few others with female vocals and I'm good to go. One recording that is new for me (ok I have owned it for about 25 years and not listened to it until last night) is Depeche Mode, People Are People. Whoohoo, some great engineering on that, interesting sounds and layer upon layer of depth right back out through the wall and into my face. Wow. Maybe not so much my choice of musical style. I remember hearing all of the tunes on it back in the day, but never had an appreciation of what was really going on as I didn't hear it on a decent TT and system. Whole other experience.
 
Last edited:
I seem to always fall back to Diana Krall Love Scenes when evaluating my system (especially when changing things around)
 
Anything that scores in the green zone here http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/ is appropriate and if you take some time to look, you will see that often the same album can score very high or very low depending on which dial-monkey mastered it. Perhaps that is why there is some disagreement here about some bands/albums...

Get that out of the way first, then the second-most important thing is that it is music that you really love and are very, very familiar with. No sense in taking someone's advice about a classical or jazz fusion song/album as being a great way to evaluate a system if you have never heard the music and do not like the style of music to begin with. On the other hand, sometimes it is interesting to see how well your system performs with various types of music, even if you don't plan on listening to it all that often. In this case, it makes sense to seek advice and get well-mastered versions.

For me, it is a combination of (the best versions I can find of) Dire Straits - Dire Straits, Steely Dan - AJA and/or Gaucho, The Doors - Morrison Hotel, Bowie, Barenaked Ladies, Spirit of the West., etc.,etc. through to jazz including Haden/Metheny - Beyond the Missouri Sky, Ernie Watts - Unity, Cooder and Bhatt - A Meeting by the River, then over to random selections from "Best Audiophile Voices", then some Norah Jones, some Leonard Cohen, Patricia Barber, Chie Ayado... and finally on to some classical, starting with some excellent solo cello and moving up to Mozart violin concertos. Often I throw in some Ska and old Reggae, as a friend of mine is getting me more and more interested in that stuff, but that is usually after I have done my "evaluation". This list is far from complete. Tons of music works for me because I spend many hours a day listening (not passively, while doing other things, just listening) so I am intimately familiar with a lot of my music. As long as it is well-mastered, I can use just about any of it for evaluation.
 
Last edited:
Another thing to note, and you can verify this yourself by spending about 10 minutes in the DR database, is that "remastered" basically means "molested". Generally speaking, avoid them!
 
Here's a good example what I am getting at: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/ind...ly+dan&search_album=gaucho&sort=dr&order=desc

Not difficult to see why:

a) some people might think Steely Dan is "too compressed" and others think the exact opposite

b) newer, remastered, "hi-def", (whatever) often means "sounds shitty" (but not always)

You are actually better off with the 1984 version in MP3 format than you are with most of the "HD" versions in a lossless format!

I personally choose to listen to the SHM-SACD version (ripped to FLAC at 88.2/24). It sounds incredible. I cannot imagine anyone calling it "(DR) compressed".
 
Last edited:
Thanks for that link. I have Gaucho and The Nightfly on the original release vinyl. I suppose that's a major reason I think they sound so good. I noticed that SACDs seem to not suffer from the extreme compression syndrome. Perhaps that's why I've been buying so many lately. Even DSOTM (on SACD) that I find so musically underwhelming is a superb recording.
 
Interesting.

And how do you rip at 88.2/24bit?

Easy! You do it from the analog outs into an A to D convertor that does 88/24. If the DAC on the player doesn't down convert before analog conversion the analog signal will be very, very good.

Many less capable players convert DSD to PCM before the analog conversion. That doesn't yield the best audio quality. The Yamaha DVD S1800 does a direct conversion from DSD to analog. It doesn't convert to PCM first. This was a major selling point for me when I bought it. The blowout price of $80 at the time didn't hurt either.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom