• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite songs about the music business

Rick Nelson's Garden Party sounds like a nice little nonsense song until you find out what he was singing about.

Great song.

I'll throw in Working for MCA by Skynyrd, and add Rosalita by Springsteen.
 
I expected to see this one in the list....?

"So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star" - The Byrds, written by Jim McGuinn and Chris Hillman, 1967.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • byrds_the_01l.gif
    byrds_the_01l.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 59
Todd Rundgren - An Elpee Worth Of Tunes

Who's that on the racks again?
A portrait of a crazy man
Trying to make a living off an elpee's worth of toons
A picture of a soul in pain
Trying to change the world with an elpee's worth of toons

There's something at the heart of it that's simply awful
A man who makes a living off a plastic waffle
 
AC/DC ~ Aint No Fun Waitin' Round To Be A Millionaire

The Reverend Horton Heat ~ Showbiz

Turbonegro ~ What Is Rock?

The Supersuckers ~ Rock-n-Roll Records Aint Selling This Year
 
agreed with Grainger49 - Money for Nothing is great. Floyd's 'Have A Cigar' is the one that immediately popped to mind.
 
I can't believe nobody's mentioned John Fogerty's "Zantz Can't Dance", chronicling his troubles w/Saul Zaentz. IIRC, there was a lawsuit or 2 over this song.
 
Heart ~ Barracuda

I was just about to post that! I listened to an Heart interview years back. IIRC... one of the sisters said this song was about a slime ball manager that they once had.

I just got a pristine copy (LP) of "Dog and Butterfly" last week for $1.
 
I was just about to post that! I listened to an Heart interview years back. IIRC... one of the sisters said this song was about a slime ball manager that they once had.

I just got a pristine copy (LP) of "Dog and Butterfly" last week for $1.

I love that album. Been looking for it for a couple of years now.
 
WOLD by Harry Chapin? Not entirely, but close enough IMO.

Six-String Orchestra by Harry Chapin has a few lines that come closer. If memory serves, the lines were:

"I sent a demo tape I made to the record companies,
Two came back Address Unknown, one came back COD.
Of course I got form letters all saying pleasant things,
Like suggesting I should find a trade where I would not have to sing."
 
Back
Top Bottom