• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Songs of Faith

ekmanning5

Time has told me...
Now that Easter has come and gone I thought I'd ask the question; what is your favorite song of faith. I don't mean Gospel, that has its own thread. As does Christian music. I'm talking about mainstream artists who occasionally (or more than that in some cases) threw out an inspirational song of faith. Could be the lyrics that grabbed you. Or maybe it was just the tune.
As of late mine has been; I Told Jesus...by Stanley Turrentine.
What's yours?
 
Register to hide this ad
Interesting question, Ed. I'm not too sure how to go at it though. What about say...Randy Travis? A mainstream country guy that turned gospel (or more correctly finally started making the music he wanted instead of what paid the bills). Before he went completely gospel he did "Three Wooden Crosses" which is a great song. After the musical conversion, his version of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" quickly became one of my favorites but it's a traditional gospel song.

I would say Keb' Mo's tune, "Hand It Over" is a fantastic song of faith but I don't know if you could call him mainstream.

How about "Spirit in the Sky"? Nobody heard of Norman Greenbaum before or since. Great song, but does it fit?

Ray
 
I would say Keb' Mo's tune, "Hand It Over" is a fantastic song of faith but I don't know if you could call him mainstream.

How about "Spirit in the Sky"? Nobody heard of Norman Greenbaum before or since. Great song, but does it fit?

Ray

Keb Mo is mainstream enough. What I probably should have said is, artists who normally wouldn't have done a song of faith.
George Harrison did lots. But I bet most people probably would consider him a Beatle first and an inspirational songwriter second.
And yes, Spirit in the Sky fits. Gets all kinds of play on mainstream radio. I guess I'm stretching the parameters here, but that's ok too.
 
Here's one I've told Mrs. Manning to have played at my funeral...
I Saw the Light...Hank Williams Sr.


I wandered so aimless, life filled with sin;
I wouldn't ask my dear Saviour in.
Then Jesus came like a stranger in the night;
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!

Chorus
I saw the light, I saw the light.
No more darkness; no more night.
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight.
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!
Just like a blind man I wandered alone,
Worries and fears I claimed for my own.
Then like the blind man that Jesus gave back his sight;
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!


Chorus
I saw the light, I saw the light.
No more darkness; no more night.
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight.
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!
I was a fool to wander astray,
For straight is the gate and narrow is the way.
Now I have traded the wrong for the right;
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!


Chorus
I saw the light, I saw the light.
No more darkness; no more night.
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight.
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!
 
"By The Mark" -- Gillian Welch

"The Criminal Under My Hat" -- T Bone Burnett

"A Love Supreme" -- John Coltrane

"Born" -- Over The Rhine

"Hard To Know" -- Mindy Smith

"Spiritual" -- Spain

"Jesus" -- The Velvet Underground

"Two Hands" -- Townes Van Zandt

"When The Man Comes Around" -- Johnny Cash
 
Last edited:
Here's one I've told Mrs. Manning to have played at my funeral...
I Saw the Light...Hank Williams Sr.

I wandered so aimless, life filled with sin;
I wouldn't ask my dear Saviour in.
Then Jesus came like a stranger in the night;
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!

That gets played a lot in the "Cowboy Church" movement. :thmbsp:
 
For me, the artist is easy - David LaMotte. The song, however, is hard. He has so many deeply faith-based, heart expanding songs. "Hope", "In The Light", "Butler Street"...his are the sweetest folk-type songs I've ever heard. David has retired from music touring to follow another calling, but his music is still readily available.
 
One of my favorites is 'Little Mountain Church' by Ricky Skaggs on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Bands- 'Will the Circle be Unbroken' CD. I guess because I live across Big Sandy River from where he grew up and used to go to the same kind of "little mountain churches" he sings about, I really relate to the sentiments he sings about. Some of the quartet music that granpaw recorded on his reel to reel would move your soul and sounded like it was inspired by a higher power.
 
The Doobie Brothers: "Jesus is just alright"
I wonder about this one though..Uriah Heep's "Easy Livin"..I think it IS about having faith.
Then there's my favorite...Spinal Tap's Christmas with the Devil!
 
lots of good ones...I like Al Green "God Is Standing By"
Hot Tuna "True Religion"
Dylan "Serve Somebody"
Roy Buchanan has a few good ones too.
 
Here's one I've told Mrs. Manning to have played at my funeral...
I Saw the Light...Hank Williams Sr.

I play in a Christian band and we played that one at our last gig. :D

Pushing things in a slightly different direction, how about "Pray" by Hammer?

Ray
 
Back
Top Bottom