• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite Steely Dan songs?

pdardeau

Member
What's your favorite Steely Dan songs? (not limited to 1 for obvious reasons!). Mine are (in no particular order):

Kid Charlemagne
My Old School
Josie
My Rival
Third World Man

This is not to say that I don't like all the rest a lot (because I do), but these are my favorite. In fact, Steely Dan is probably my favorite band of all time. They're the only band that I own all of their albums (CDs actually).

And for Donald Fagen solo work my favorite is New Frontier from The Nightfly.
 
Register to hide this ad
Too many to choose from… I agree with My Old School and Josie and will raise you FM (no static at all ;)).

Also, Peg, Black Cow, Hey Nineteen, Babylon Sisters, Deacon Blues.

Regarding Don Fagen, it’s impossible for me not to play all of Kamakiriad when I only want to hear one song; The Nightfly is hard to pick just one.

Kudos for Jack of Speed (it’s on my CD for testing audio systems) and What I Do.

Interestingly enough, I wasn’t exactly a fan and then several years back (decades?) I bought everything Steely Dan produced at the time (I tended to do that back in the day. Go figure).
 
I like everything off the Royal Scam, Aja, Two against Nature, Can't buy a Thrill and Gaucho. Great band that I didn't really care for in my youth. Donald Fagen has some really good stuff also. Just bought his The Nightfly "LIVE". Awesome!
 
I like everything off the Royal Scam, Aja, Two against Nature, Can't buy a Thrill and Gaucho. Great band that I didn't really care for in my youth. Donald Fagen has some really good stuff also. Just bought his The Nightfly "LIVE". Awesome!

I didn't know about The Nightfly Live. Thanks for mentioning it. Will have to order!
 
Lots, but the ultimate fave is the title track from Aja. Virtuoso solos by Dias and Wayne Shorter, plus that riding/driving outro solo by Steve Gadd? Fuggedaboudit -- it's never been topped in the entire rock-jazz oeuvre.
 
Mine were, in no preferential order:

Reelin' in the Years
Hey Nineteen
Deacon Blues
Peg
Josie
Do it Again
 
I'm always the contrarian on these threads:
Cousin Dupree (for sound/system checks)
My Old School (because one of my daughters went to college there, too!)

I've been a fan since their first recordings. And always good shows—once they figured out how to tour their sound. I even had the pleasure of working a show for The Dukes of September once. That's Donald with Boz Scaggs and Michael McDonald. I helped un-box Fagen's Steinway and watched a full two-hour rehearsal as they brought a local singer into the program. Fagen was as fanatic and as much of a perfectionist as you would have expected. Very cool. I'd have paid them for the opportunity, but they paid me!
 
Back
Top Bottom