• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Feeding the birds- help

Youre doing bird lovers a favor.
Starling population shot from 200 to 2 million in under a decade.
They are killing songbirds and the eastern bluebird. Yes they squabble with robins even.
They are a strong beautiful bird but they are causing havoc with the songbird populations.
Grackles are cool black birds who mainly eat scraps. Careful not to shoot any catbirds either. They are a beautiful songbird that people often mistake for a starling.

Starlings may be strong but they are butt ugly and their "song" is disgusting. The robins always lose. The more I kill the better I feel. I am going to invest in a pellet gun so I can get more without them hearing the .22 and getting suspicious as to what is going on.

No matter what you will never put a significant dent in their overpopulation. But you can convince them to stay of your yard.
 
We had one of those plastic mushroom shaped hanging feeders when I was young, the squirrels managed to jump onto the top and then slide down to the feed below. That is until we greased the top. I never got tired of watching squirrels make the 4 foot jump from the house only to go flying right off.
 
door

My mother has been feeding birds for years and fighting bully birds and squirrls all along. She now has a long spring pole like thing with a box type feeder with a trick trap door. Squirrls and big birds are too heavy so when they land or grab on, the door closes. The little birds can feed with no problem.

I wish I had better details for you.

My wife like to feed the wild critters too. I keep warning her about all the bad animals but arguing with her is like arguing with diarreha. You can do it, but you'll loose and things will get shitty.
 
Steve, you can have the robins and songbirds that camp out in the tree overhanging my driveway. I'm tired of them crapping on my cars. :D
 
Steve, you can have the robins and songbirds that camp out in the tree overhanging my driveway. I'm tired of them crapping on my cars. :D

Mothers-Vile-Beast.jpg
 
Squirrely-wirleys-Meh. Around here, the problem was/is Waspers. Seemingly overnite, you'll have a softball sized nest in yr feeder, full of decidedly UNFRIENDLY critters...
 
Yea the best of intentions become a pain in the ass. My feeders became a gorgeathon between the squirrels and every bird on the planet. They made a mess and when I found a rat that some cat hat ambushed, that was the end of it. I put up a lot of houses and maintain a birdbath.
 
Back
Top Bottom