• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Felt vs. cork platter mat

It stands for vertical tracking angle.
Yes you have a lot of reading to do, but you will enjoy it. Both the reading and applying the reading your system.
Welcome to AK.:thmbsp: Are you using an AR as well?

Thanks, and no, I'm using a Pioneer PL-12.
 
Hi Guys, I'm sorry for digging up this old thread. I hope the op won't mind me posting this. I am setting up my standard AR XA turntable at the moment and in need of a platter mat. The foam thing that I have with it just sticks to the vinyl after playing. It pick dust up better that my vacuum!

I was reading this thread about the deer hide mat. Is that as simple as getting hold of a skin and cutting out?

With one of these?
$(KGrHqVHJFYFDRE--t6nBQ3y-!Ulb!~~60_12.JPG


I'm sorry this may be an obvious question, but I am fairly new to the whole spinning vinyl thing. :)
 
My two peneth on mats - It will depend on your system and preference in voicing.

I have a modified ProJect RPM9, I have used this within my system listed at the footer. Using both Goldring 1042 & Dennon DL-301 II cartridges.

I have tried Felt mats, Cork, and leather which I cut from a new welders apron which was only a little thinner than the felt. It was a supple matt leather with a soft feel. Guess you could call it sued, not sure of the difference, but this stuff had no hard skin with a shine it was dull and textured.

The leather dulled the presentation for me, the cork even more so. To my ears in my system the felt gives a livelier more detailed sound without being overly exuberant.

I stick the felt to the platter with 4 squares of double sided tape to stop it lifting with the record. Yes static is a problem, but without trying the more exotic, gell mats etc (read expensive) Felt is the best I've heard. I even tried layering the various mixes, eg cork with felt on top. A lot of VTA adjustment later and I hadn't improved over the basic Felt. I ocassionally vacuum the felt with a miniture keyboard Vac.

Regards to all
 
Hi Guys, I'm sorry for digging up this old thread. I hope the op won't mind me posting this. I am setting up my standard AR XA turntable at the moment and in need of a platter mat. The foam thing that I have with it just sticks to the vinyl after playing. It pick dust up better that my vacuum!

I was reading this thread about the deer hide mat. Is that as simple as getting hold of a skin and cutting out?

With one of these?
$(KGrHqVHJFYFDRE--t6nBQ3y-!Ulb!~~60_12.JPG


I'm sorry this may be an obvious question, but I am fairly new to the whole spinning vinyl thing. :)


That's exactly what i started with, and use. I have extra AR platters, inlcuding a subplatter sans spindle that I lay over the hide. I use a spent cartridge (either 223 or 32mag as both fit through the spindle hole in the subplatter) and use that as my hole punch. I slowly cut around the edge of the outer platter. Deer hide is pretty tough when it come to cutting in that it at times wants to stretch. So go around your template several times to get a complete cut through.
 
While we're on the topic of leather and cork mats, has anyone ever heard of or heard a mooo mat before?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turntable-M...rd_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item43b6f17261
I need a mat for the SOTA table I have coming in soon and everything I've heard about leather mats makes me want to try out out for myself. I haven't seen a leather mat like that before, any clue what it would do to the sound?

That strikes me as a spectacularly bad design unless they've found a way to completely degrease the cowhair while preventing it from shedding.

I'm sure someone here with money burning a hole in their pocket will buy one and fill us in. Anyone?

Personally I use VERY thin cork sheet with adhesive backing. Under it I attach either neoprene foam sheet or rubber shelf liner. On top, a network of small and medium sized cork discs made of the same cork sheet. Total thickness is a pretty good match for my stock mats. Presently using one of each type on my HK T-25 and Sanyo C-40+ with excellent results.

I also use an old unobtanium Radio Shack clamp (they used to cost $5 and they're the equal of any other clamp I've seen).
 
Yes..........there is something that works best on the AR platters. I have made cork mats and it works fine......but deer hide is superior to anything.
It's very light, conforms to the platter, rejects any reflective wave from the platter to the album. Give a very open, quiet background presentation. It does not charge up with static.

"Road kill" platter matt..Catchy marketing name..:thmbsp:
 
I don't like using the felt mat simply because of all the dust. However just now after flopping the felt on top of my rubber mat it seems to make a difference. Punchier, more engaging basses.. but the height of the playing surface went up a few mils. Perhaps the sweet spot of my VTA is just a touch lower. Ah vinyl.
 
I picked up a deerskin recently and cut out a mat for one of my AR XAs and so far so good. I haven't done a hard listen to it vs. the drawer liner one that was on it, but it sure as heck looks better. The only real gripe I have is the creases; ironing didn't work and i'm not finding much online.

Any tips on flattening it out better???

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • deerskin.jpg
    deerskin.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 293
I picked up a deerskin recently and cut out a mat for one of my AR XAs and so far so good. I haven't done a hard listen to it vs. the drawer liner one that was on it, but it sure as heck looks better. The only real gripe I have is the creases; ironing didn't work and i'm not finding much online.

Any tips on flattening it out better???

attachment.php

I invert another platter on top. let it sit a day. Anything flat and heavy should work.
 
[QUOTE

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Needs a little tomato paste,cheese,mushrooms , italian sausage and pepperoni's..:thmbsp:
 

Needs a little tomato paste,cheese,mushrooms , italian sausage and pepperoni's..:thmbsp:

Ha!!! It does look a little doe-ey, doesn't it...:D

Well, I read that deerskin can get soaked w/o harming it, so I just cut off a nasty wrinkly piece from the leftover hide and soaked it through with warm water. After I patted it dry, I set it on a flat cardboard surface on a cotton T shirt, folded the shirt over it, and laid a couple books on it.

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow after work....
 
The water soak seemed to have did the trick for my test swatch. I didn't take a before pic, but have a shot of the hide adjacent to where I cut the scrap, and the scrap today after drying. Much improved!!

Before, laying "flat"

attachment.php


After, but still a bit damp. Much flatter!!

attachment.php


And a newer pic of the Doeboy..:D Complete with all the wrinkles...

attachment.php


I'll post back in a week to show how improved it is. I want to give my little test a couple more days to dry completely before I commit the pad to the treatment.
 

Attachments

  • deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 124
  • deer2.jpg
    deer2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 122
  • deer4.jpg
    deer4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom