• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Female banana plug to bare wire adapter for twist locks?

redondo2018

Active Member
I just picked up an amp that has those twist locks for speaker wire (first time I've had to deal with these). I have female-banana-plug-to-4mm-pin adapters for speaker clips, but those don't stay in the twist locks. So, I'm looking for a solution/adapter that would work. I assume it would need to be a banana plug to bare wire (as silly as that sounds) if such a thing exists... I'd rather not solder it myself (not enough juice for the squeeze IMO, but I WOULD probably pay someone else to do it!) so if nothing exists I guess I'll just have to use bare wire on both ends for this amp (which isn't ideal).

Thanks in advance and links helpful!
 
Register to hide this ad
Those might work, assuming they're not too thick, and are long enough to reach the locking mechanism (you didn't specify the amp make and model, and some twist lock terminals that I've seen are embedded quite a ways inside their plastic shroud). There are several different manufacturers of that style.

Do your current banana plug to pin adapters have wire in between the two connectors? If so, you could just remove the pin connectors and strip the ends of the wires appropriately to make pigtails.
 
Those might work, assuming they're not too thick, and are long enough to reach the locking mechanism (you didn't specify the amp make and model, and some twist lock terminals that I've seen are embedded quite a ways inside their plastic shroud). There are several different manufacturers of that style.

Do your current banana plug to pin adapters have wire in between the two connectors? If so, you could just remove the pin connectors and strip the ends of the wires appropriately to make pigtails.
SAE Two amp, and yes, seems like the locks are relatively deep. No, current adapters are all solid metal.
 
As an alternative, you could use bare wire as intended for the amp. I have an old Technics receiver with those connectors and they do hold speaker wire quite well.
 
As an alternative, you could use bare wire as intended for the amp. I have an old Technics receiver with those connectors and they do hold speaker wire quite well.
problem is my main system and office systems are both higher-quality banana plug wires (both for sound quality and ease of switching gear) - garage is bare wire, but I'd like to try out this amp in my other systems, so hopefully I'll find a solution
 
How about these? Yes, it's 18 gauge wire, but it's only 3" long, so it's extremely unlikely it'll affect the signal.
 
Last edited:
BTW, given the choice, I prefer adapters that have some wire in between the two different connectors, otherwise you end up putting undue strain on the original outputs.
 
OP said he'd prefer a solderless solution, and those require soldering. While there are solderless female banana jacks available, I suspect he'd prefer a ready-made option.

I assume these are the terminals you're dealing with...

929807-46d504b1-sae-two-p10-100-watt-per-channel-power-amplifiergreat-vintage-condition.jpg


Here's another solution - cut off the pins and you've got 12 gauge wire (assuming that's not too thick for the amp's terminals) that you can strip to the required length. Actually, if you're lucky, the braids will be long enough and you won't need to cut them off.

61ObI0ExoDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg


Or this - same thing, cut off the pins and strip

61H9eD0YboL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
 
Last edited:
OP said he'd prefer a solderless solution, and those require soldering. While there are solderless female banana jacks available, I suspect he'd prefer a ready-made option.

Here's another solution - cut off the pins and you've got 12 gauge wire (assuming that's not too thick for the amp's terminals) that you can strip to the required length

61ObI0ExoDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg


Or this - same thing, cut off the pins and strip

61H9eD0YboL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thanks! Yeah, the first one looks like decent quality (and yes, you are right, I'd rather not solder vs spending a $10 or whatever)
 
I modified that post after you started responding. I added:

Actually, if you're lucky, the braids will be long enough and you won't need to cut them off.​
 
I see one of the adaptors has "tinned" leads. Would that work ok for the twist lock terminals? Or would cutting off the tinned ends and exposing bare strands be better?
I'm pretty sure bare stranded adaptors would work fine and those were also mentioned.
 
I sometimes use these screw terminal females. Not the most robust connector, but good for the price. I wrap electrical tape around at least one to avoid the screw heads touching.

IMG_20230302_200551_1.jpg

Screenshot_20230302-201048_eBay_1.jpg
 
I have some of the banana plug to braided wire adapters some are mentioning in this thread,I also have some JBL speakers with twist lock terminals and I would not try to use the adapters on the twist lock terminals. The braid is to thick and stiff,my guess is the terminals will break.
Those twist lock terminals look about the same as what JBL uses on some of their speakers.
I've read JBL recommends using 18 gauge stranded wire on their twist lock terminals.
I've read a comment from an AK member in another thread,they tried using 16 gauge wire in a twist lock and they broke the terminal.
 
OP said he'd prefer a solderless solution, and those require soldering. While there are solderless female banana jacks available, I suspect he'd prefer a ready-made option.

I assume these are the terminals you're dealing with...

929807-46d504b1-sae-two-p10-100-watt-per-channel-power-amplifiergreat-vintage-condition.jpg


Here's another solution - cut off the pins and you've got 12 gauge wire (assuming that's not too thick for the amp's terminals) that you can strip to the required length. Actually, if you're lucky, the braids will be long enough and you won't need to cut them off.

61ObI0ExoDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg


Or this - same thing, cut off the pins and strip

61H9eD0YboL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The first option seems to work fine without any cutting involved! Thanks for the tip!
 
Back
Top Bottom