• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fender 5B3 tube amp

:eek2:
You have a working 5B3 TV Front Deluxe? First off, 220K-ohm is fine. The only resistor which maybe critical is the one hanging off the 6V6GT's cathode. It should be within +/-20% tolerance. I like metal oxide or wire-wound resistors in this 6V6 cathode position. I'd replace the bypass cap, too. Go to 25-mfd with 50-VDC rating, as house wiring voltages have increased in the last 70-years. That is a 70-year old amp! I'd replace all electrolytic caps and measure for DC leaks off those ancient Astron tone caps. I'd love to hear an audio file of this gem.

View attachment 2436026

View attachment 2436027


Here's a schematic:

View attachment 2436025
.

Here's my 1955 Champ. With what I changed in the circuit:
View attachment 2436029

Mine has Lupe Lopez's masking tape signature. Does yours?
View attachment 2436030
People have offered me over $4K for mine. I bet your Deluxe maybe worth nearly double. You may want to get that puppy insured.:idea: :D

I have a later version of that amp it's a 5B3 but not T.V. front at least the speaker in that amp has a original
Jensen blue speaker, the prices for those are high but I found an early Weber speaker that with the magnet
cover it fit's in the cabinet.
 
I built a new Telecaster and it's came out pretty nice, but I played it though my Deluxe and
it sounded a bit dull so after a bit a cap changes, I put in a set of those blue Ajax caps that
came in the mid sixties Fender amps and I have to say it sounds better a bit brighter more
tele like. What did I take out a set of those new Jupiter Red (Astron) molded caps, well
I don't think they're worth the $15.00 or so price for them they just sounded flat.
 
I built a new Telecaster and it's came out pretty nice, but I played it though my Deluxe and
it sounded a bit dull so after a bit a cap changes, I put in a set of those blue Ajax caps that
came in the mid sixties Fender amps and I have to say it sounds better a bit brighter more
tele like. What did I take out a set of those new Jupiter Red (Astron) molded caps, well
I don't think they're worth the $15.00 or so price for them they just sounded flat.

Interesting. I've only used the yellow Jupiter caps. They seem fine. The Ajax caps are the Blue MOLDED ones? Those are superior to just about any Fender used in their amps. You want brighter? SBE Orange Drops maybe an option.
 
Back
Top Bottom