• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Filter Capacitor Upgrade Sizing - Advent 350 Receiver

mteetank

New Member
Hi all,
I am doing some restoring on my Advent 350 Receiver. I replaced the four FM tuning dial bulbs which is quite exciting since they have been out for years.

Now for my question/ concern. I have read varying opinions on the advantages / disadvantages athat can come from increasing the capacitance on the filter capacitors. I went with the "don't worry about" approach when I ordered them and now I am having second thoughts about my decisions. Since exact replacements were not available, I have replaced the four original filter caps of 50v 6800 uF with 50v 12000 uF of the same dimensions (30mm x 50mm) and 20% tolerance.

Please give me your thoughts on if my decision was sound? Thanks much

Side Note: The Advent 350 was built in 1981 and was Advent's replacement for the model 300. Advent_350_Power_Supply.jpg It is quite robust in its power supply but I have now idea on the rectifier construction. I included a picture of the unit it that I of any help.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you are going to upgrade it that much I would suggest getting the numbers off the rectifier Diodes and upgrade them with diodes rated for a few more amps. I am currently working on a receiver with two 20,000 uf filters and it will light up a 200watt bulb in the dim bulb when powered up. Adding a couple thousand uf isnt usually a problem but adding 20k uf would more than likely stress them rectifiers. On the other hand that xformer looks like it would laugh at the additional surge. You already have about 28,000uf, I doubt adding more will make much difference unless you run it full blast all the time.
 
Last edited:
As for the the rectifier diodes, I think replacing them with a higher Ampere rating would be a prudent upgrade. The OEM Diode part number is YAB-010EDI7945. I have not found any cross reference for this number so currently do not know the actual OEM Ampere rating of the rectifier diodes. Installing a triac switch may not be necessary because I use a power strip.

Question: What ampere and voltage specifications of the four power rectifier would be considered Robust (overkill) so I cover all my bases? Additionally, is there a resource that would be able to identify the specs of the OEM Diode.

Thanks!

Diode_Advent_350.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom